View Single Post
Old 17-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #34
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU 16" tyre size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
The RTV size of 215/65/16 can just fit under the ball joint but it will be dependent on the shape of the actual tyre chosen (tread width/shoulder etc).

Remember the RTV had a wider track, achieved by wheels with 15mm less offset - moving the tyre further outwards and away from the stub-axle/upright/knuckle and associated top ball joint pinch point.

If you are changing wheels and use lower offset (E-series 16" for example) then bigger tyres are a much easier fit - until they start fouling on the guard.

The RTV referenced in my signature line ran 225/70/16 on 16x7 with a 10mm offset - tyre outside of top ball joint. The smaller opening BA guards needed some massaging but AU's are more open and would be fine.

Standard AU-BA Falcon wheel offset is 36.5mm, RTV was 15mm less at 21.5mm. E-series are typically zero to 10mm ish.

Comparative position of a 245/45/17 on factory 17x8 Falcon alloys (photo by EB# used without permission )
This post > http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=418

Thanks for the detailed information. very handy to see the images as well as I am quiet a visual person. Will do some measuring and confirm what offset the wheels I currently have are and go from there. If I could make a 225/70/16 fit I would be wrapped. My only other concern would be clearance on the rear end but I will have a closer look and check that too. I can't push the outside of the tyre any further outwards as currently the 245/40/18's just kiss the guards on full compression. Unfortunately until I get the springs reset to be a touch higher this is quite common :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
not me, maybe a dry run at a tyre outlet?
I was thinking of doing this as I am have a good run with my local Tyrepower
shop. I will try and get myself close to the mark first so I can minimise the time I need from them.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: