View Single Post
Old 29-06-2022, 11:03 PM   #33
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
XB GS 351 Coupe
Never like the idea of keeping a lead acid battery on constant trickle or float charge unless the battery charger circuit has a built in discharge mode in the charge cycle.
Most lead acid batteries are designed to be worked not sitting in a constant full charged state.
This is what I was taught many moons ago in the trade.
Cheers
I have never heard this, I have been told quite the opposite.

I have been keeping my classic cars and bikes on trickle chargers since the mid 90's, generally get 6-8 years out of my batteries, with a few freak batteries thrown in, one being a genuine Harley Davidson branded Battery, the bike was always on the charger unless it was being ridden. I fitted the battery in July 1998 and replaced it in 2008 with another genuine HD battery.

Had a another freak battery that was fitted to my 2007 BF GT purchased new, the battery was replaced in June 2019, that car was also permanently connected to a CTEC 800mA smart battery charger.

Not sure if the CTEC runs a discharge cycle. All my vehicles do get driven quite regularly.

I will however explore this idea further, but I sincerely doubt that a Battery chargers specifically designed to maintain batteries will kill a $250 extreme duty battery in 12 months to the point where it will no longer accept or hold a charge when none of my other 7 car/bike/mower batteries have any issue with the same charger.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote