View Single Post
Old 25-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
Mondaveo

Thumbs down Re: Buying a late Mondeo - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
The MC and some late MB's had Powershift. From other's experience, it appears the early transmissions are the most likely to have problems.
"Early" being specifically 2010 & 2011-built examples that were prone to a semi-common defect. From (some point in) 2012 onwards it seems they resolved that issue and we basically don't hear about failures any more.

It was the "dry" clutch Powershift gearbox fitted to the smaller cars that garnered a reputation as an absolute dog (and deservedly so), but the Mondeo only ran the "wet" clutch, which was basically robust but has suffered being lumbered with the same name.

If they're maintained and working well, they're a lovely thing to drive. The DCT shifts sharp but smooth, and I adore how the turbo-diesel engine has so much torque it basically doesn't notice how loaded up the car might be (as I frequently do with a family). The only thing I don't love is the lag in power delivery when taking off from a standstill, it's very doughy for a second until it spools up and then it gets you moving, so that's just something you have to learn to drive around.

Servicing can get a bit expensive. The wet-clutch Powershift requires a fluid and filter change every 4 years or 60,000km under normal operation according to the booklet for my MC. The DCT fluid typically runs anywhere from $20 to $50 a litre, and you'll need between 6 and 7 litres of it to fill your transmission. That will tend to eat into any savings you might realise from the supposed fuel efficiency gains over a conventional auto (although considering the direction bowser prices are headed, maybe not!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote