View Single Post
Old 23-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #462
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximafag View Post
Devils Advocate: The information that would let someone wind back an odometer for nefarious purposes, especially given the current climate.
Don't post that bit.
There are at least 2 parts to this: One is the checksum - which would allow someone to change the EEPROM and make it "load" without an error with whatever change was desired. Then there is the algorithm used to store the odometer value, which in-itself isn't something I'd consider needing protection. I say "at least" because there's always more going on. Like a business protecting their investment, Ford, and third parties doing "bad things" for a price, where the information leak hurts them.

Where do you draw the line though? Which one of those two things do I not look into? My list had the odo algo at #6, the checksum at #7. But #3, 4 & 5 may need someone with a FG(I/II)-FPV to supply me their block data to confidently continue. That's probably not going to happen without trusted associates telling them "it's OK to extract it via OBDII" because they had already used the info I'm posting without an issue.

Anyhoo... I'm posting my slightly modified Arduino program files now, that I used to do the EEPROM and FLASH components. They are modified (in that I've removed my car's data - and only left the donor cloned unit's original data) along with some simplification from some of the source code I had been following from someone else's efforts (I wasn't the one who did this first).

I should also add, I've now got the ICC V850 firmware (most of it, anyway) because when I dumped my original cluster, I noticed the part-number was one letter behind the 2014 donor unit... I now know the Ford site only supplies the "latest" firmware - so mine is no longer available, but can apparently be upgraded. Using this information, I increased the last letter of the ICC part-numbers until I got something.

The ICC firmware is packed in 32 byte segments with a checksum (unlike the cluster's which is byte-for-byte) so I needed to unpack it, work out where it loaded (around 16K in, FYI) and I could see a very good de-compile using the tools already mentioned. But be warned, not to update this firmware, because the QNX software (on the iMX31 chip) before mid-late 2013 doesn't really like the newer one on the V850 chip.

You will need a more powerful Arduino board to run the Flash-program, it's using a lot of RAM, though it could be modified to work on something with 8K I suppose (I've got ones with a lot of RAM though, so I didn't go to that trouble). At ~600 lines of code, I consider it a trivial program, but many may not. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ReadEEP.ino.txt (17.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: txt ReadFlash.ino.txt (17.5 KB, 13 views)
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: