View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #225
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Tow Tug ,What to Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah I reckon Rangies had a 4T tow rating years ago,which I presume was because they came with big disc brakes on all 4 wheels.Certainly would have been on stopping ability rather than towing capacity.Would have been dangerous in a strong side wind,but I suppose no different to people who reckon it is safe to tow a 3t plus caravan with a Thai special,whilst having a tow vehicle weight of not much more than 2t.Guess that is why there are lots of rolled over big caravans in scrap yards
4T is laughable.
Discos have a short wheel base, high centre of gravity and long rear over hang.
Of all the vehicles rated to tow 3.5 tonne, one of them would be the last on the list.
That’s also not taking into account the hit and miss reliability.
I’d prefer the P38 Range Rover. Which is more sure footed for towing high weights but more unreliable again.

OP maybe consider a Lexus LX470. These are rock solid reliability and build quality. Re sale is strong and they’ve done their all of the depreciation so will hold value.
I have one with one of the mufflers removed and it sounds like a proper V8. It’s a bit gutless though.
Like some Land Cruisers they have active height control (Hydro suspension) and 4 wheel traction control with centre diff lock. 17 or 18 inch wheel so good tyre choice and decent side wall. I have added a Bluetooth module in place of CD stacker so can stream music. Decent stereo with factory amp and sub.
I think Toyota saw what Land Rover did with the 1995 Range Rover and released the 100 series to do everything the RR can but better.

Tare weight 2530
Payload 730
Towing 3500
GCM 6760
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: