Thread: 5000th RAM
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #166
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5000th RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Don't know as I'm not into this type of vehicle.
Although new diesel vehicles are bog down with all the crap these days, I still don't know whether I would want a petrol 4X4 if I lived in the outback.
Something about electronics, spark plugs, dust, vibrations and river crossings that do not fill me with confidences.
Diesel were always the best for towing given their torque and ability to hold consistent coolant temps climbing mountain passes but I guess times change and so do the buying public.
The Hemi V8 has always been an iconic engine too which helps sell the RAM petrol.
Well, it’s not the 1980s anymore so the modern diesels have just as much electrics to go wrong as the petrols - high pressure common rail and associated sensors, electric injectors, throttle, boost and MAF sensors, variable geometry turbos.
Now compounded with adblue and DPF set up.
In saying that there are many modern CR diesels that have proven themselves in the reliability stakes but I’d still caution buying a used one out of warranty.
Petrol engines in comparison have remained relatively simple especially the V8s in the Ram and GMs.

The only reason why diesels have the reputation for torque is from the old gutless things like 1HZ and TD42 with ultra short gearing. Their figures are abysmal compared to a Petrol engine from the same era like the 1990s commodore/Falcon 6s.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: