View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #55
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Raptor 4x4OTY Crown

just reading the rest of the thread. The 2500kg tow rating behind such a capable vehicle is where the tow limit of a lot more lighter/narrower vehicles should be. The Raptors stance is a lot wider than that of a standard Ranger, and it’s heavier.
The amount of big caravans we saw rolled over on the side of the road along the North West Coastal Highway and the Great Northern Highway when living in WA was an eye opener. Narrow roads, huge road trains, big winds with heavy caravans being towed by narrow 2-2.5 ton vehicles is just madness. Many people simply do not have the experience or ability to adapt/plan ahead to the changing conditions of roads around Australia. One combo I remember was a brand new Prado towing a big Jayco, absolutely desinegrated to nothing. Would have been terrible for the persons in the vehicle.
The big vans in my opinion should be left to the 200s etc where they are wide and over three ton when tow ready. Stability control on new vans is a great thing, at least they’ve got half a chance when things start going wrong.

There’s a huge amount of rediculously capable campers that would follow a Raptor round Oz, and plenty of smaller caravans that would more than do the job if you wanted to leave the van at a park whilst exploring the local area - I’d go the camper personally.

I’ve got zero interest in towing big vans behind any dual cab unless it’s the Silverado variety. Cheers
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: