Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #3309
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Have bicycles changed much in the last 20 years? Thinking of upgrading from my MY2000 Giant ATX 860. Attached pictures are of exactly the same model as mine however my frame is large size so top bar is horizontal (like in the last picture
Mountain bikes have change massively in the last few years.
Wheel sizes are not 26” anymore. They are 27.5 or 29er
Frame geometry has changed a lot
Fork rake (angles) are way different
Forks are a MASSISE leap forward
gears are not 3x any more, mostly 1x11spd or 12spd
Handlebars are wider and angled, with or without risers.
Brakes are hydraulic and bigger
Dropper seat posts
Tyres are tubeless
Dual suspension or hard tails
Etc.

Just in hard tails alone, my 25yr old Norco is a way different bike to my 10yr old mongoose Vs my current model nukeproof scout. All 3 bikes are completemy different beasts. Then if I compare my Scott spark dual suspension bike, that rides way different again. Depending on the riding I’m doing, I’ll swap between the Scott and the nukeproof.

If you want to get back into it. Start back on the ATX and workout the kind of riding you like, be it trails, xcountry, downhill, single track, fire tails etc. then go see a few decent bike shops and discuss with them for a bike that suits the style of riding you want. Do a bit of searching YouTube for channels like GMBN or pinkbike, before you do though, you will learn heaps and be able to work out which shops know their stuff and which shops are just trying to sell you a bike they need to move on.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: