View Single Post
Old 20-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #80
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Re: New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm260 View Post
My concern is that your version of "common sense" is not written into the legislation, which is what the police and the courts adhere to and there fore relay on in judicial judgements should it get that far.

So any police officer could book you for not slowing to 40, because he is acting within the letter of the law/legislation, despite what any politician or perveyer of "common sense" would argue.

Cheers
Jim
True, but if you genuinely weren't able to slow to 40 in a safe manner, ie on a blind crest or bend, then you would have a completely valid argument in any court of law.

But it would never get that far, because no cop is going to book you in the first place, if they know they're in a spot where it's not practical for cars to slow from something like 100-110 down to 40.

I really think people are taking this new rule WAY too literally.

They've had the same rule in SA for years haven't they? And it's only 25kmh. And all these scaremongering fears that people keep going on about all over the internet, never happen. Because it's just not an issue.