View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
robertjp

Default Re: Ford Focus 2012 Auto, buy or no buy!

If you check the forums on the Focus and the PowerShift transmission, there should be lots of info. For starters the gearbox was sold as an automatic when in reality it is a manual with an automatic clutch, which affects how it performs under different conditions.

There were two versions of the transmission, one for high torque applications (wet clutch) and the other for low torque (dry clutch). The high torque version in the turbo diesel did not experience as many issues as the low torque version which unfortunately is what the majority are.

When buying a LW Focus I insisted on the manual, due to me being dubious of this gearbox. Ford eventually tracked down the problem but the reputation for the car (gearbox) has taken such a hammering they dropped PowerShift for the LZ.

Which is a pity as that the Focus is a great little car, drives and handles really well. Interior is laking a few bells and whistles on the lower spec models and leg room in the rear can be a bit cramped if the front seats are pushed back.

As to your question check # 3 would be my first to check when the extended warranty by Ford runs out (class actions), has this gearbox required any fixes and if so what was done. AS for the rest everything runs well upto the point it breaks, and when does the cooling of period for your contract/deposit end. In the end the choice is yours, "caveat emptor"

Robert.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: