View Single Post
Old 30-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #68
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ADVICE PLEASE: Mustang GT - Deposit refund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. But I do have training and experience in contract law.

You have (had) a contract. It may not be written, but a verbal agreement also makes a contract.

Regarding verbal v written I thought that too. However a contract of sale in the automotive industry may have to be in writing as it is when buying a property. In that industry nothing is binding until the contract is signed by both parties regardless of what was promised verbally . Anyway good outcome for the OP. However I can see harm being done to car dealerships if this practice of refunding deposits was more widespread . Take for example 1,000 people placing $1,000 deposits for their new Mustang only to tell the dealer once the car had arrived they were no longer interested in following through with the purchase and wanted their deposit back.

I think there needs to be clear and strict rules in place regarding withdrawal and forfeiture and the consequences of backing out of a deal from both sides. Part of that would be some clarity on price and who bears the exchange rate risk.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,