View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #66
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
I'm a bit confused about gymbal's now. I Googled the word, and it comes up as:

I Googled the M9 and M9R Gymbal, and it appears to be joystick controls for the transmitter.

So, is that stability control, to remove human error at the input?
No stability control mate, that is in the software of the simulator (and in the Flight Controller settings in the case of a real drone)...

In the 'olden days' the gimbals/gymbals would have two potentiometers connected via a linkage to each control stick to give a X and Y axis and they would have been purely mechanical devices prone to wearing out as the tracks inside the pots wore away over time due to the constant movement of the wiper arm.

The original gimbal (I'll use the spelling the manufacturer uses) may have been a resistance device, I can't actually tell without pulling the thing apart...and I don't want to as they're now 'spares'

They're mostly plastic and quite complicated and give 30 degrees of movement in each direction from centre (so 60 degrees in total). They're spring-loaded to return to centre but in the case of the throttle (on the left on my transmitter as I fly Mode 2) the spring is disabled/removed and the 'zero' position in now bottom middle. You can also engage a micro-ratchet on the throttle for 'feel'.

The ones I have just put in are Hall Effect sensor devices so not mechanical...to a degree. The pivots have ball-bearing races instead of a greased metal sleeve, plus they're made of aluminium and not plastic so 'feel' better. The throttle (on the M9R) is now 45 degree throw instead of 60 degrees. This gives better throttle response, as you go from nothing to full power in less movement...this may be what is making it 'easier' for me to fly.

FWIW Mode 2 is meant to be easier for helicopters, apparently it's not that common in Australia.

Mode 2:
Left Stick is:
Throttle (which controls up/down in a drone)
Yaw (horizontal spin around a vertical axis)

Right stick is:
Pitch (tilt forward and back)
Roll (tilt side to side)

...slightly different to a fixed wing aircraft:

Throttle is still throttle but controls forward movement.
Yaw would be rudder
Pitch would be elevator
Roll would be ailerons

That still makes sense in my head so would probably leave it

The gimbals in my Taranis Transmitter can be either so the radio is interchangeable Mode 1/Mode 2.

Last edited by Ratmick; 09-08-2018 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added Stuff
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: