View Single Post
Old 13-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #811
Trendseeker

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it I can't find a decent potato cake anymore? Years ago potato cakes from fish 'n chip shops were large pieces of potato covered in a thick coating of batter and fried. If you were lucky there would be one which was super thick so the batter could be peeled from the potato. Nowdays potato cakes are thin with little batter resulting in them being hard and crunchy. Or the worst version is where there is no potato or batter, just some potato based mixture which is fired and is homogenous inside and out.
I’ve heard them called potato cakes, but they’re normally called potato scallops in NSW, and there are still places where they make them the good old fashioned way as you’ve described. Thick crispy batter with a slice of hot potato inside and a bit greasy overall. If you’re in the Sydney region I can provide directions to a fish ‘n chip shop that makes them. Their fish isn’t that great - just the battered variety - but there are other shops that have a good selection of fresh fish, grilled or fried, in the area.
Potato scallops: takeaway food shop between Bakers Delight and IGA in Gymea 2227
Fish and chips (they do reasonable scallops too): Notaras on The Kingsway, Cronulla 2230

Last edited by Trendseeker; 13-07-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Directions added
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: