View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Space saver tyres

Well, it's becoming clearer why I'm having trouble with 16 inch wheels fouling.

Had the rear wheel off the MD today to check if there was sufficient clearance to allow a 16 inch wheel to fit - it's problematical.

But what was surprising was that a rough check on the rotor diameter showed a measurement of about 315mm and I know that the MA has 302 mm dia rotors, as do MB and MC versions of the car SFAIK.

Some further research via after market parts suppliers shows that the 300mm front and 302mm rear rotors are only good for MD versions up to build year 2015, but when in the year isn't stated at the sites I looked at - and I'll bet Ford Oz don't know either..

Our car was built in Sept 2016 and has the larger diameter rotors, so this running change predates that.

I would suggest some caution if you are sourcing brake rotors and the build date lies between Jan 2016 and Sept 2016 because somewhere in that window the change occurred.

The change pushes the calliper 8mm further away from the axle centreline and is sufficient to cause calliper fouling for a 16 inch wheel.

My problem could be solved by using a 17 inch diameter wheel, but I haven't seen one of those in a 6.5 inch width with the correct lug nut PCD - and in any event the narrowest tyre size seems to be 205 mm, which would lift the floor by 10 mm, and that is what I'm trying to avoid.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote