Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #146
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Most reliable Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna View Post
AU.......

there is no second place.

even the Holden die hards, respect the AU for reliability and toughness.
Never met a Falcon I didn't like but AU just keeps hanging around two decades on in numbers most other cars don't. Says it all really when even in little places you are almost certain to see AU sedans , wagons and utes still plying their trade on a daily basis.

My own one almost 15 years on (bought at Easter 2003) two years old has had only the alternator replaced in 2015 and the factory CD player would only read the occasional disc by about 2010 so I put the harness in and an aftermarket head unit . The ol' silver bird just never quits. Transmission check in 2016 revealed it was still in near perfect order with no debris on the magnets and oil as clean as. No hint of diff whine or leaks. No hydraulic lifter noises in the engine whatsoever , no dash rattles , slight squeak from sway bar rubbers in dry weather if it's been dry for a while and the clock needs a new backlight bulb. Tyre wear exceptional too . Current Goodyear NCT's have over 50k on them and still fine. Even the ball joints and all the suspension is all original . Nothing failed yet.

Needing attention - Dull tired paint thanks to being out in the weather a lot although not peeling on clearcoat , a bit of rust now eating into the bonnet bracing near the catch and in the bootlid under the numberplate where water collects. Courtesy of a wildlife hit or two a cracked front air dam, headliner letting go around the front screen and rear window edges , driver seat stitching letting go a bit around bolster and backlight in clock not working. Even all four power windows , A/C / all fans etc function fine. Slight weep now just starting to be seen in the power steering and cracking in one of the p/s boots underneath noticed on recent service.
She's a beaut . If my FG XR6 gets anywhere near the old AU with this sort of reliability I'll be over the moon.

Last edited by roddy1960; 07-02-2018 at 09:42 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: