View Single Post
Old 22-08-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
Mondaveo

Default Re: 2013 Mondeo aftermarket stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
  1. If the unit has an auxillary input function, you can run the input down to a socket in the storage compartment and simply plug your phone in via the headphone socket.
  2. The Sony units from the Zetec and Titanium are readily available and I would imagine fit perfectly. Whether you get the full functionality, I don't know. You wouldn't get some display functions becuase you don't have the upspec display in the instrument cluster. On older cars, plugging in upspec units was plug-n-play, but I'm less confident with modern cars where you have BCMs, canbus, etc.
Interesting, would not have thought of replacing the base model radio (6000CD) in an LX with the upspec Sony unit.

Unfortunately, I think the only additional benefit it would get you is a USB input socket for mp3/iPod playback. Since the 6000CD does support Bluetooth for phone calls and the Sony unit only does that much too, it will be necessary to use an app that tricks it into thinking it's a phone call to stream to either of them. Also, it seems there is a chance your 6000CD will already provide an aux-in socket, or that you can add it (apparently it was sometimes charged as an optional extra - cheap bastards!).

The Sony unit provides an aux-in socket and also a USB socket in the glovebox, which can play media from a memory stick and also supports iPod playback (with the optional iPod harness that they sold at a stupendous markup - bastards again!).

Most of the aftermarket head units I've seen do claim to keep your steering wheel controls functionality. There are lots on ebay (mostly generic brands) which also claim additional features as Crazy Dazz has mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote