View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #139
zdenko
2002 XR6 VCT Owner

Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Geesus Christ 5 weeks is way too much and way too many calls.

I would have just told them you want ur money for the car back and that you will never buy another Mazda product again.

And why the **** would'nt they replace the faulty injector while its in the shop?

My brother recently bought a Second hand Toyota Kluger from a Melbourne Toyota dealer and payed something like $1,500 for extended warranty.

A month later they rang and said car needs a recall job done + a service so his wife with 1 month old baby dropped car off on friday morning expecting to have it all done by the afternoon.

Waits all day, gets a phone call that recall and service has been done but the car now needs a new sensor and that sensor will cost $600.

My brother is ****ED OFF.

Payed all that money for extended warranty and now they do this to him.....WTF???

Even Toyota are ruining their reputation these days.
First off he may be covered under statutory warranty.
If that car is under 10 years old and has less than 160000kms, has been bought within the last 3 months and has travelled less than 5000km's since purchase.
The dealer wouldn't have a foot to stand on if it all meets that criteria.
And if it does and they don't play ball a simple email to head of Toyota would get the particular dealer into gear quick smart.

Regarding the extended warranty most of those are not from the manufacturers.
They are from actual warranty companies on sold by the dealers just like their very expensive paint protection packs. Most use the same one's and just put their logo on the front of it.
Like a lot of aftersales offers at the dealers, the warranty companies are sharks as well.
The way I see it never bother taking these warranties unless you are a solicitor and have the time to go through all the outs they have in the disclaimers.
Firstly they generally require your car to be serviced every 6 months or 10000km's, once the factory warranty is expired regardless of what the manufacturers manual states. Miss it by a month or two and they will void your extended warranty.
Secondly most of these warranties require you to use the dealer you got it from for the servicing. When you buy a new car and say the factory warranty is 5 years, do you really think you will be servicing the car with them after that 5 year period when you are in the extended warranty period? Especially if you bought it across town for a better deal.
Thirdly they actually have various packages, and generally they are designed to look like they cover a lot, but in reality they do not. For example they will get you by mentioning they cover air-conditioning system components in the easy to read section, but if you read the fine print in the lowest package they will only cover something useless like the on/off button or a fuse.
They basically make sure that anything expensive looks like it is covered, but only the cheap part of the system is covered in reality.
They are not doing anything wrong as all the information is in the book, they are just benefitting from todays lazy, trusting and scared consumer.

And as for the DPF topic.
No issues here in my 1 of 75 2008 Pug 207 HDi Lemans. Think of it as a GTi diesel. It is the only way to get a Pug 3 Door Diesel Sport in Australia.
I did a fair bit of research before buying a used diesel car and Peugeot appeared to have a better reputation regarding diesel engine technology compared to other manufacturers. Their Petrol 1.6L engines shared with BMW Mini is a disaster though. I was actually after a 207 GTi but the timing chain horror stories and French car mechanics steered me off those.
It has Peugeots early propriety DPF cleaning additive system (EOLYS Fluid) which seems to last a good 200000km's before requiring top up.
The fuel filter also has a water separator built into it which you are supposed to drain every 10000km's. This is what protects the injectors. It is actually very easy to do on these 1.6 HDi motors. Its is just a screw which releases all the fuel + water. Re-do it and manually re-prime the pump with the squishy bladder next to it. You also change the filter once vey 40000kms. They can be had really cheap, I bough a Bosch one for $45.
The only other important thing is engine oil. These have require the rarer C2 grade oil and have a Pug spec on top of it which is very uncommon in Australia. Luckily the Factory fill Total Synthetic oil can be had cheap from the wholesalers. Last time I got 3x 5L Bottles shipped from Perth to Sydney for $140. The Sydney wholesaler won't even sell to a lot of mechanical workshops, go figure.
I believe that 1.6L Pug diesel is also in the Fiesta TDCI's. They use the same fuel filter but I also believe in Fords wisdom they removed the manual fuel primer making changing the filter a special tool job. They seem to suffer more DPF issues and I gather that is because they don't have an additive cleaning system.
Air Hog Air Filter + 2.5 Inch Sterling Mandrel Bent Exhaust + Supercheap Oval Tip.
Carbon Fibre Style Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Boot
zdenko is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: