View Single Post
Old 30-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #3385
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: All things Solar (merged threads)

For those of you in the know, can you please tell me about one thing I'm interested in with respect to a battery-backed home solar system?

With just a roof-top solar system, anti-islanding requirements automatically isolates the inverter from the main switchboard in the event that power from the grid is lost. This is required to ensure the grid supply line is dead when isolations at either end of the supply line are activated so that workers are not at risk. In effect, this means that, when there is a power outage on the grid, your solar system is useless to you.

How is this managed if I were to add a battery back-up? I assume that there is an automatic switch of some type installed to allow the solar system to still function, ie supply the house, during a grid power outage.

And, if this can be done with a battery back-up, why can't it be done with a roof-top system without battery storage?

All of the above assumes the house is fed from two supplies; the roof-top solar and the grid.

I think I must be missing something.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: