View Single Post
Old 15-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #38
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

This isn't it, but just something I googled up- in short- every .5kg in rotating mass is the equivalent of 4kg of static weight. Therefore in my case, 13.2kg of reduced rotating mass is the equivalent of shedding 105.6kg of static vehicle weight- what's that equal in power terms....

People overlook this importance- it's clearly a good place to put your money if you want looks and a performance edge over the guy next to you, who puts on a set of 20" 20kg boots every corner.... anyway here it is.

Q: Why is the weight of wheels important?

A: Wheels are rotating mass/unsprung weight. Every 1 lb reduction in rotating mass is equivalent to an approximately 8 lb reduction in static weight. With lighter weight wheels, you will benefit from increased fuel savings, quicker braking, improved tire wear and better acceleration. Always ask about the weight of wheels. Your vehicle is not engineered for heavy wheels. Therefore, it will not perform well if you effectively put four anchors on it!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5

Last edited by jimt3te50; 15-03-2006 at 01:10 AM.
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote