Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #3168
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Fastest I've ever been was just over 80 coming out of Forest Elbow. Things started getting a bit fluttery and light on the front end so I starting braking after that.
I hear what you saying howver if your bike feels like its unstable at speed then you may need to look at head bearing , tyres and basic set up . Other than frightening the bejesus doing that sort of speed your steed shouldnt be a part of the problem .
Quite a few years ago i had a friend who would climb with the best of the group but couldnt/wouldn't descent with the group. So i said i would help. As i sat behind him , his lines were good , position on the bike was good so i thought it got to be a confidence thing. I suggested on the next descent he should ride my bike and i his.
He got on mine and disappeared whilst i was on the brakes basically the whole down. When i got to the bottom i told my friend to get the bike fixed or buy a new one. The head bearing was shot and at anything over 35ks it felt like the front was going to come away from the bike and disappear off into the crescent.
He brought a new bike and still climbs and descents with the group. Often we are so used to the norm that it becomes acceptable. In my opinion your bike shouldnt behave any different at 80ks than 35ks
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: