View Single Post
Old 14-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
BradZ
I'm still alive

Default Re: Kangaroos

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
what 'specs' are you talking about?

the 'watts' and 'lumens' ratings mean bugger all. the cheap ones don't mention the ratings that are important, and can rarely provide them if asked.

how many can provide Lux specs? most decent ones can provide 1 Lux @ up to 900m for some of the high end brands. you won't get that off an ebay one.

it all depends what you want. if you just want a bit more light in the immediate vicinity of your car, then any light will probably do the job, but if you really want to light up down the road and give yourself a decent chance of seeing in to the distance far enough to give a good reaction time, then you need to spend the coin.

20" lightforce is about $600 and that is probably entry level. if you want a rigid industries or great white etc, you'll pay even more.

having said that, everyone's requirements are different and i agree that its hard to justify spending big dollars if you aren't going to be using it very often.

i do an interstate trip every year, so for twice a year use, i didn't want to spend the top dollars either, however i wanted a quality product that would last. i bought one of these http://www.cosmoblaze.com.au/cbdr120wh.html which rated quite highly in a review i found compared with some of the big name brands. they do sell via ebay http://www.elinz.com.au/buy/cosmobla...work/CBDR120WH and this gives you a chart of the light pattern and effectiveness of the various light bars.
I understand lumens, watts and all the rest just fyi. All the lumens and wattage in the world mean nothing with a terrible lux range I agree.

They all pump out enough light to be a huge improvement, although I agree you can get a bit more if you have the cash to blow.

That said, Great White, Lightforce, Arb etc are horrendously overpriced for what they are.

Here is a set of 185w per light led spotties a mate bought from a small company ( cant remember the name) for nearly half the price of a set of Great Whites or ARB Intensitys. Build quality and light output is identical. Cant remember off the top of my head but they did provide lumen, lux and wattage. Said company makes a 225w version now aswell that I'd love to try out

Not having a go at you mate, I agree with what you've said but with Ebay out of the picture there is still plenty of gear I'd buy before dropping $800ish on big brands.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773

Last edited by BradZ; 14-06-2016 at 01:41 PM.
BradZ is offline   Reply With Quote