Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 22-05-2015, 03:19 AM   #1732
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
even though i ride, and its fair to say that i really enjoy riding, i've never really been a big follower of the professional sport. i know some of the big names but not well enough to know who they ride for or where they are from, just that they are involved in cycling.

anyways, being on night shift this week, i was up late sunday night (first shift is monday night, so getting myself in the mode) and just happened to flick over and catch the last 60km or so of the stage. i couldn't turn it off. wasn't really that exciting to a non rider, but the fact that i ride gives a different (and better) appreciation of the events, and the fact the telecast puts up stats like ave speed for the stage and various other details, just seems to keep me hooked.

anyway, work is quiet, so had tonight off, and found myself watching stage 12. terrible conditions, and some very sketchy descending with about 20km to go. about 5 crashes on the downhill, including gerrans unfortunately. one dude, who i don't know his name, but he was out in front and no one knows how he managed to stay on his bike. at least 5 corners he was all over the shop, foot unclipped trying to balance, off the road.... gee it must've been pretty slippery conditions.

i still don't really understand how the teams work. obviously each team has a main man? and its the rest of the teams job to look after him and keep him protected?
It was a really good stage with a good strong effort by Gilbert to win. I was glad to see him win as he is a solid rider and a rider I have a lot of respect for.

You are correct, teams have their lead rider who is their best prospect for a win in one of the categories which is usual the overall (GC). Sometimes a team will not have a GC contender but they may have a good sprinter in contention for the points jersey or a good climber up for the KOM. The team is there to support that rider as you saw Tinkof Saxo doing for Contador tonight and Sky got criticised for not doing well for Porte the other day.