View Single Post
Old 13-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #62
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack_1 View Post
Burnz,

Yes, but the part I damaged was outside (the end of) of the conduit. Sorry I didn't take a photo to show you.

Agreed more flexible, not subject to corrosion, short circuits, etc. But somewhat more delicate to crimping damage, at least in my experience.

OK, must be the 1GBit LAN connection I was referring to. But the connection from the 1Gbit LAN to the router (and phone?)is via network cable (CAT5/6), which would be copper? That's all I meant...

Ahhh, thanks, that makes sense. I assume one of the boxes does the conversion from analogue signal to the digital/IP so 'normal' phones can be plugged in? They don't have a special phone, just 'normal' DECT phones.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Now it's just for me to pay the bill to have it fixed...
Firstly, you opened a box that you have no right to open and you damaged the fibre. Sorry, that is no ones fault but yours. You shouldn't touch anything you don't know about and the fact you broke it proves that.
A commercial patch lead inside a premises is a lot less likely to be damaged than kms of twisted pair cable in the street. Fibre isn't affected by lightning, corrosion and other factors that affect copper, and while copper jointing is faster, you won't have 1000 pair fibre cables requiring jointing which means fibre jointing of a typical cable will be quicker.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote