View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #87
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ****Tyres**** who runs what

Quote:
Originally Posted by msford View Post
The consensus opinion amongst the tyre dealers I went to was that getting upwards of 20,000kms out of these tyres in a Mondeo like mine is about what is expected for a mix of suburban and highway driving. No-one suggested or implied I'd get over 30,000kms and some implied I might not get even 20,000 kms if I drove aggressively and mostly in city traffic.
Hi again msford,

This is an interesting bit of information.

I say this because our car is the MA version of yours and mechanically similar, I believe, perhaps somewhat more torque and power in your model.

The OE tyres on our car were Potenza RE050 and they lasted 28,000 km. They would have gone to 44,000km but I allowed the car to be wheel aligned at the 15,000 km service and by 28,000 km the inside edges of both front tyres were chopped out. At that point there was about 3 mm depth on the outside of the tread!!! The realignment fixed the problem and the aligner said that the front wheels were aligned with about 1.5 mm of toe out when they ought to be 1.4 mm of toe in with a variance of +- 1.0 mm. That misalignment cost me about 13,000 km of tyre life. I guess the message here is that if your tyres are wearing evenly then refuse advice that an "alignment would be good" at normal services or when tyres are being replaced.

The replacement tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 01 coming up to 32,000km and they have 44% of the original tread left to the wear bars. And I'm happy to say they are wearing evenly across the tread. So I'm anticipating about 50,000km out of them. And I could not discern any major difference between the old and new rubber so far as general roadholding is concerned. So I wonder if the comments are designed to lower expectations. Our experience tends to be rather different from the comments you have received.

But if you are in a major urban environment and most of the distance travelled is in suburban streets with lots of cornering/roundabouts to negotiate, I guess this will adversely affect tyre life.

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote