View Single Post
Old 24-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: AFF Coffee Thread

If you can try and tamp the grind down a bit firmer, you will slow the pour down a bit. The key is a slow pour to allow the heat of the water to extract the flavor from the bean enough without burning the brew.

Have a look at the pro's and watch their technique. Yes, the machine has a lot to do with it, but their tamping technique, their frothing technique, and even the way their pour the milk into the cup makes a difference to the appearance and texture of the final product.

When I pour my frothed milk into my cup, I pick the cup up with my left hand, place it on an angle, and sloooowly pour the milk thats in my right hand in so that the milk first hits the side of the cup and slides in before the milk mixes with the coffee shot. Doing this stops any large air bubbles from ruining the look of the head, and allows the foamy crap to stay in the jug and allow the silky smooth frothed texture of the milk underneath that over foamy crap to come out and into your cup. THAT is the stuff you want, not the foamy over aerated garbage.

Also, if you take sugar, sprinkle the sugar in either before of after you coffee shot and try and spread it around the bottom of the cup. The coffee shot will help caramalize the sugar and instead of a clump of sugar laying in the bottom of your cup, you will find when the milk is added, it will mix any remnants of sugar particles left over. It also means you dont have to stir the cup and ruin the appearance of a nice silky smooth milk head on top of the cup with a spoon from stirring.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont