View Single Post
Old 23-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
Vekgib

Default Re: Who still talks to family members ???

I'm the only child from my mum's second marriage.Her first husband died in 1963. My dad died in 1977. Mum died in 1995.
The three siblings from mum's first marriage always looked after me when I was young (I'm 11 years younger than my half-sister who is the youngest).
Over the years once I grew up,generally the relationships deteriorated.After mum died and the estate was sorted out, I've had virtually nothing to do with my sister or her three kids (34,32 & 25). But I get on great with her ex, for whom I was best man at his second wedding.
One brother I have next to no contact with except we are Facebook friends.
The other brother went "funny" after his marriage ended.I'm Facebook friends with him too but again, very little,if any contact.
His ex has been more of a sister to me than my "sister".
Her son,my nephew, asked me to make the speech on behalf of the father of the groom at his wedding this year.I was bursting with pride.
So, this Christmas, we'll see my (former) sister-in-law, my nephew and his wife.
And,besides my wife,they are the ONLY people I want to see.
My in-laws are weird.
They still haven't RSVP'd to the wedding invitation we mailed to them in 2004.
I've never been good enough for their daughter and they remind me of that at every opportunity.
My wife asked them to come to Christmas lunch. I couldn't not let her.They're her parents.Not mine.
They were delighted to be asked and couldn't wait for the day.
They rang here 2 hours ago saying that they weren't coming now because they wanted to see some cousin they haven't seen for 50 years......
Families........who needs 'em ?

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote