View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Battery replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Thanks Alan, I'll print your instructions and keep them in my glovebox. Which battery did you fit in the end?
Hi NZ,

I fitted the Century DIN75LMF which has a spec of 12V, 730 CCA, 135 minutes reserve capacity (whatever that means) and although Century do not state it I think a capacity of 75 ampere hours.

DIN is the abbreviation for the German Standards Institute and ordinarily to make use of the DIN term the item must meet (exceed?) the DIN spec in all regards, in Germany at any rate, as (I believe) there are significant penalties for quoting DIN numbers for items which do not meet the spec. The spec also covers physical parameters such as height, width, length, case material, construction and the number of and where ledges are incorporated etc.

The tray in the Mondeo is long enough to get the DIN 85LMF item in (780 CCA same cross section but 35 mm longer, probably 85 ampere hour capacity) but you would need to source (make) a shorter hold down clamp or make alternative hold down features. I'm guessing that the petrol engined vehicles have the DIN65LMF unit and a longer clamp is fitted to those cars to accomodate the shorter length.

All that said I would be wary of fitting a battery of either lower capacity or lower CCA figures to the diesel engined cars as these may give shorter life and/or fail prematurely with the sort of consequences we have read about.

Cheers.

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 05-03-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typos
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote