View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #38
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Whats stopping people from buying the Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
A graph's Y-axis scale can mask or exaggerate trends. What you need to do is graph a trend-line before Sportwagon release and then a trend line after. You will also need a trend line for the large car segment pre and post Sportwagon release to see how much they converge or diverge.

What you will see is that the Commodore was trending downwards until Sportwagon where the trend then levels out. you will have other factors muddying the water like the fact that the product is ageing which means sales will lessen over time regardless.
i think that graph tells enough of the story. if you look at the commodore in isolation, you could argue that mid 2008, there was a slight halt to the downward trend and a spike in sales and then the downward trend again albeit slightly higher. this would seem to back up the theory that sportwagon sales were largely extra sales.

personally i think the graph shows that mid 2008 all 3 models had a slight rise in fortunes.

my argument is, in my opinion, if sportwagon wasn't available, commodore would still be selling similar numbers to what it is selling.