View Single Post
Old 25-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i know the police work very very hard all the time . but i hate it when they get on TV and say what more can we do . the answer is obvious . and that is police presence on the streets . not contractors /or police posted on highways with radars . thats the only point i was making / these police comments quickly get transferred into more revenus raising . i dont think shocke police persons should make statements like what more can we do , when they know the answer/ driver training/ police presence/ and more enficise on larikan behaviour . its the govts fault i know . combined with lack of education and safety awareness in individuals as well . one thing that could be done would be to find out why so many people are driving unlicenced

I agree completely with a lot of what you said but why is it all these threads get turned into a "anti speed camera" argument? The use of speed cameras had nothing to do with this incident. There is next to no chance that extra police on the road would have meant that a police car was nearby to prevent this incident. This sort of incident tends to happen where there is unlikely to be a police presence.

Heres a thought for you, these types of incidents were occurring long before speed cameras existed, how did speed cameras have anything to do with those? The answer is simple and the truth is harsh. The government is not at fault for these types of incidents, only the person involved in this behaviour is.

To me, the thought that the government should be blamed because someone was killed riding on the bonnet of the car at speed and the government did not educate them is ludicrous. If the government has to educate the population in such matters and ensure we do not take idiotic risks such as that, we will then truly live in a nanny state. Do we really need a nationwide TV ad programme telling us it is not safe to ride of the bonnet of a car at speed, nor should we ride on the roof of the car with our clothes doused in petrol and set alight in a kind of flaming Priscilla Queen of the Desert as it may be dangerous to our health.?