View Single Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #181
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Have you actually done a days drag racing?

I used to take my Skyline to the circuit and I was nailing consistently handy times within a few laps... After a year of going to the same circuit, (and with some expert training) and no mods to the car I wasn't even a second quicker.

Took my XR8 to the AFF drags thinking it would be a piece of cake and boy was I wrong - I was really surprised by how hard it was to consistently nail a sweet time.

In fact I never got close to my one best time again and hence set my DYO too low and lost the final because of this.

I had an awesome day and got heaps of track time.

I have set my car up to handle a track day but to be honest I think I'm going just do drags, with the ocassional blast on a certain twisty section of road at 8/10ths - more fun than the track I reckon!

On the track I'm just constantly reminded I'm driving a car designed for the road...
Of the track days i've done the most enjoyable thing, by a country mile was getting into a rhythm and nailing the apex of corners and learning car control.

Learning the edge of grip, gearing, handling, braking etc...

You just don't get that from drag racing, in fact id have no idea of my lap times from the days i did because i was more interested in just enjoying the car and getting all the car control stuff sorted.

That is what Motorsport is for me, and what i enjoy most about performance vehicles.

How they go from a standing start is really not that important to me, how they accelerate from gear to gear, handle and brake is....

Last edited by 4Vman; 30-04-2010 at 12:33 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote