View Single Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #35
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
There there in part is the issue with automotive enthusiasts on a discussion forum.

Of the total combined sales of all Australian built vehicles, the percentage of those purchasing the car with the intention of getting it 'a bit ahem, excited' is a very small one at that.

Therefore, the majority buy the car for what it offers in terms of comfort and every day drivability, so in most of the statements here, the Aurion is a good car.

My opinion for it's sales downfall, is that too many Australian purchasers are forever connected to RWD and it has been suggested to Toyota many a time that the Aurion results could potentially be double what they are had they not have had the arrogant opinion of "If we say FWD is the future, the customers will buy them" when really, had they have offered engineered RWD Aurion, it would have appealed to the Toyota faithful and been able to draw in those people who would not normally buy Toyota which is a win/win.
Well the enthusiast is in danger of being shut out purely because the average punter doesn't know what understeer etc. is. In saying that, i would make two points:

1. Just because the falcon may be superior in driving feel etc, does not mean you need to be M shumacer to tell the difference. I think any driver once you explained the basics would be able to work out that a certain car is a better 'handler' then another. I'm not saying they would care all that much but given the choice between an aurion as it is now and one that handled properly (for example, was easier to drive) for no difference in price i reckon they'd pick the latter. Bear in mind that alot of 'average punters' push their car pretty hard (take a look next timeyou are out and about....i know soccer mums in territorys on the school run that look like they are shane van gizbergan in the top 10 shootout at bathurst.....

2. I reject the notion that that good handling cars aren't able to compete on their other atributes. Although slightly cheaper in most models, and having more kit in top spec models, the aurion is no better than the FG as a car. It has a lower ANCAP score, its interior is not any better, its fit and finish almost identical and its fuel economy much the same. As a car, it doesn't impress me all that much irrespective of how it drives. As for reliability, well the recent toyota recalls may not prove they are a 'dodgy' car company, but it goes a fair way to proving they aren't really any more 'durable' or 'dependable' than any other car make out there.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....