View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Price is a little high, unless it's ultra mint.

VCT XR6 had the Variable Cam Timing motor, which is good for about an extra 15kw or so, but they were usually optioned with IRS too, slowing them down. In some cases a Non-VCT XR6 (usually referred to as a HP due to a mildly upgraded stock motor) without IRS were actually faster than the VCT version.

They are awesome cars, but as a first car? Well, i hope you know how to handle a big car with bags of torque.
But $13k on a first car, you're obviously not 16 are you.
I'm not 16.... I'm 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I wouldn't say that. Heaps of kids his age get loans on cars. Heaps of them can't afford the repayments...

For your first car, get a Corolla, or if you have to have a Ford, get a Laser.

You will, and this is not being smart, but you will stack your first car. It might not write it off, but, an accident is an accident. If you stack a Falcon, they aren't cheap to repair - hell, nothing is really cheap to repair, but with a Corolla, or a Laser, they are cheap to buy, and insure. Nobody is an excellent driver straight off the bat, and you will be no exception.

Get a small, cheap car to begin with, and then, with experience, move into a Falcon.
Mum was thinking of giving me her Festiva, but I don't really want a small car, the only cars I've driven are small cars and they're boring and too cramped. Also, no I didn't get a loan I can't afford the repayments on, I've been working since 2006 started off on $17.50 an hour, now on $22 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Great advice. Get a little japo buzzbox for your crashing! So much safer than a good built solid Falcon, which with the AU III XR, was the safest car in its class when built!

Daymoe,

A Falcon, any model, is a great first car. Not everyone is going to crash their first car, but incase it happens, thats why we insure.
The on road differences between a HP and a VCT are limited, but there is less to go wrong with the HP. I would be happy with either.

As for the AU v BA. The BA was much heavier, with a very bulky Control Blade IRS. The Engine was also new for the BA and It tended to be very thirsty on fuel, when compered to the AU. The BA has a very different look, considering the 2 cars shared floor pan, doors and roof as a minimum, but I dislike the interior treatment. All the switch gear looks like it was designed for another car. The NA XR6 is very limited in changes from the XT, same engine, HP, suspension, and changes were limited to Light/ Bumper treatment and seats. (this is slightly over simplifying it) but you get the idea. Built and Engineered entirely by Ford.
The AU XR was the last Tickford Model, and differs from the base model with some engine mods, more HP, Quad Light Front, Suspension mods, dash treatment. The AU was Fairmont based (the BA falcon).

I feel the AU is a better package, but the BA is newer, more power, more popular. Its entirely up to you!

Mike
The BA is more expensive also, the manual ones cost an arm and a leg, I'd have to buy towards the end of the year if I wanted one, unless I bargained them down by about $3000, which probably wouldn't happen. My cousin just picked up a BA XR6 4sp auto for his first car for $11,000, why do the manual ones have to be so expensive for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
The VCT always had IRS as well as a few other goodies like LSD, 17s, rear power windows etc.

The IRS makes a big difference in real world grip & handling as well as a more comfortable ride. It's worth checking the rear shock mounts on an IRS equipped AU tho as they tend to flog out.

The VCT had 172kw & 374Nm vs 164kw & 366Nm.

The HP has a bit better fuel economy then the VCT
VCT manual highway 8L per 100km vs 7.8 & city 12.5 vs 12
VCT auto highway 8.5L per 100km vs 7.8 & city 12.5 vs 12.5

The manual versions had different gear ratios too & I'm sure there is some other detail differences I've forgotten about.

I'd go the AU over the BA the BA is a little more refined but the AU is a bit sportier & fun to drive as well as I always think the last of a model run usually has less dramas then an early build car. Falcons are great first cars big safe, reliable & cheap to run.
Ah righto, with the VCT's 172Kw vs the BA's 182Kw, wouldn't the AU be better than a BA because its lighter? Also, by the way, 95% of my driving is country roads so fuel shouldn't really be a big issue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
A AU 111 for your first car would be a great choice good tough and reliable as for getting a crapper.... for your first car thats your choice and your attitude will determine how that turns out, both my sons and my self had good cars first up with out trashing them . May be if others had spent the extra on a good car first up they may have learnt to be a bit more carefull in both driving and looking after them .. but hey Im old now and what would I know .....
You can tell someone no until the cows come home, ultimately they'll do what ever they like and that means they'll have to bare the consequences for their actions, I've been keeping that in mind.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming, here is the car in question:

Click me!

It looks mint, the engine bay looks rather dirty but.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote