View Single Post
Old 28-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #30
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I tend to agree with that.

The problem with enduros is that it is often no the fastest driver who wins (particularly before 1993) as reliability was so stretched. Even drivers who were renowned for being easy on the car had failures (Brock 74, Moffat 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80). The fact remains that I enjoy watching bathurst more than any other race.

I think JC got a little offended and forgot to look at the post objectivly.

Tom Walkinshaw was an unbelievable touring car driver in his day. His first visit to bathurst in 84 in John Goss' Jag showed what the man could do. He surprised a few people that day.

Had he or John Fitzpatrick or even Win Percy been given factory drives in the second HDT car I am sure they would have figured in the results.

Had Richo stayed with HDT He would have shared another 3 wins and would have ten. If his 1995 commodre hadn't suffered a minor component failure he might have eleven. If Skaife hadn't put it in the wall in 1994 he might have twelve. If the BMW in 87 didn't lose a brake he might have 13. If Brock had been as quick as Richo in 88 then he might have 14.

Moffat, Johnson, Grice etc all have similar sad tales as does Brock (74, 75) but enduros are not a measure of the man as much as they are an indication of the reiabiliy and pace from the team and car.

It is a sad indication of true pace when we can only easure 1000km enduros from 1987 backwards.