View Single Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #97
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A point to concider with all this muscle car stuff is what happens if they get banned?

The X series Fords, H series Holdens are now quite old and technologically ancient. They are very petrol inneficient and compared to current vehicles quite unsafe with no crumple zones, ABS, disc brakes, power steering etc. They also produce much more pollution than new cars.

The "historic" and "enthusiest" arguements were used by the shooting lobby some years ago and you have all seen the result.

These cars are only worth heaps because they are wanted and can be played with. If they are restricted they will become almost worthless.

e.g. In 1995 a 15 year old M16A1 rifle was worth $10-15k (I used to sell them). 1996 they were banned for the general public. In 1998 I bought a brand new M16A3 for $1200. I could own it as I had the required licence but had a potential customer base of bugger all. I sold it in 2002 for $1000. The game was over.

I hope they don't do this to cars but if we get a greenie controlled senate later this year such insanity is on the cards......
I know what you mean , flappist , E series (288,000k's) is the best we can afford , the XB was left to me by my Dad and I can't see us buying another car in the near future . A least it's an ED Fairmont with ABS but no "airbags" (except the Mrs, haha ) .

On the Firearmes side . I'm lucky to live in the country & have cousins with farms , I can show "reasonable cause" to own them . I was given a .22 Mag from a city guy as he couldn't show reason to have it , my cousin can get an exemption for semi-auto (semi-pro shooter) , as you said , older cars are still legal registerable at the moment , but for how long ?

Big Trev
My 74 XB shows 34,316 on the speedo (got it rego'd a couple of weeks ago) but the car has been in the family since New and I Know it's done 100,000 more than that .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote