Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
colgreenwood
Fairlane AU2

Default 1998 Laser Lxi Manual Front End Groaning Noise

Just bought a 98 model Laser, with manual box. Car is a little ripper but it is making one hell of a groan when moving. I was doing 80km's and pushed the clutch in and the noise is still there. I am thinking wheel bearing, or some kind of bearing. Don't know much about these front wheel drives! Any advice of where to start would be greatly appreciated.

colgreenwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: 1998 Laser Lxi Manual Front End Groaning Noise

Could be the front CV joint's, a common problem with the front wheel drives, you tend to hear the grinding noise more so when on full lock, go to an area where you can do a full turn on full lock both ways and see if it grinds away.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
colgreenwood
Fairlane AU2

Galaxy xr8 thanks for that. I haven't had a chance to try it on full lock, however the noise is there all the time while moving. Sounds like a bearing that has, or is about to give up! Not familiar at all with front wheel drive setup. As soon as I can I will get it on full lock and see if there is any clacking. At the moment just driving in a straight line it sounds like moaning. Not a grind, like something binding up. Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
colgreenwood
Fairlane AU2

Well, put the Laser on full lock, both directions. No noise other than what I have been hearing. Seems at low km's the noise is only slight, the faster it goes the louder it gets. Gave the wheels a pull side to side, up and down, and they feel tight. Steers good, no slop at all. Have to get it up in the air and spin those wheels, not much else I can do.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
colgreenwood
Fairlane AU2

Haven't had a chance to put this in the air yet, but am seriously thinking it may just be road noise. Have read a few posts about road noise in these Lasers. Once I hit about 60 it starts to come in, and stops when I go below that. It goes like a real rocket. I think that as I am not used to a small car that is what it may be. I checked the transaxle and it was low on oil. Topped that up, and it didn't make any difference to the noise. Does road noise sound feasible or am I kidding myself?