Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite type of football?
Australian Rules 104 37.14%
Rugby League 75 26.79%
Rugby Union 30 10.71%
Soccer 47 16.79%
None of the above/I don't care about sport 24 8.57%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #211
steamin63
old skool

for all of the league fans -

what do you call a drug f@cked kangaroo ?
joey !
steamin63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #212
kremmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
AFL is far more skilful than rugby and requires more all around fitness and skills.

Rugby involves no neck and a lot of bulk. You just crash into packs.

AFL players must be able to fulfill various skills and due to this, can play in more than one position.

AFL crowds are larger, sponsorship is greater, membership is greater and merchandising does big smelly poo on everything.
Its amazing to post something that is incorrect in every point.

Fitness in rugby is rated second behind boxing for allround fitness/strength/anaerobic & aerobic fitness.

Leauge & union have smaller players than AFL, and much larger players as well.

Skills are something that people from either code would debate.

Turn on your telly and have a look at the size of sponsorship for the world cup.

A league/union player could play AFL, an AFL player in league or union would die.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #213
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The World Cup is not an Australian competition. It involves nations where Rugby Union is almost the primary sport, or of greater prominence than in Australia.

Super 14 and NRL memberships and attendances do not compare to AFL.

The World Cup is also an event held every four years. Anticipation plays a massive role. People will also watch it just because it is a large event, much like the FIFA World Cup...the bandwagon grows, but deflates overnight.

Rugby does require a lot of fitness, but it's bursts. AFL players run constantly and the use of the ball plays a huge role. Regardless of size, they have no necks.

I do not believe I am wrong in every point.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #214
kremmen

AFL doesn't rate on pay TV. Of the top 100 programs of all types on pay TV last year, 73 were rugby league. The NRL had eight in the top 10, with a South Africa v Australia one-day cricket match second and the Bledisloe Cup (on Seven and Fox Sports) ninth

The AFL had one game lower than the movie Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith, at 89th, with a couple of games in the 90 to 100 bracket.

Jar Jar Binks is more popular than AFL.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #215
red_hotxr6
Banned

Well i am not going to watch 4 quarters of footy of 2 teams running full sppeed all the time kicking and passing a ball, i would rather watch the league where you get down and dirty, like last week did you see Braith anasta get smacked out, ha ha served him right...definitely NOT legal, but there is more feeling in Rugby... :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #216
kremmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Well i am not going to watch 4 quarters of footy of 2 teams running full sppeed all the time kicking and passing a ball, i would rather watch the league where you get down and dirty, like last week did you see Braith anasta get smacked out, ha ha served him right...definitely NOT legal, but there is more feeling in Rugby... :
If i wanted to watch people run, i'd watch a marathon.

I think they were going to give him 2 weeks, but gave him an extra 5 because he didn't knock Anasta out.....
Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #217
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremmen
AFL doesn't rate on pay TV. Of the top 100 programs of all types on pay TV last year, 73 were rugby league. The NRL had eight in the top 10, with a South Africa v Australia one-day cricket match second and the Bledisloe Cup (on Seven and Fox Sports) ninth

The AFL had one game lower than the movie Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith, at 89th, with a couple of games in the 90 to 100 bracket.

Jar Jar Binks is more popular than AFL.

Thats because all the footy fans go and watch it live. NRL draws a crowd of 15,000 and "its a special day for the game." The AFL pulls 60,000 and thats average.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #218
GK351

<------- is was tickle's my fancy.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #219
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I love AFL, it doesn't pull 60,000 at average...60,000 is a great crowd.
80,000+ is a kickarse crowd.

30-35 would be an average crowd in AFL...except when the Bulldogs or Kangas are playing...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #220
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
As much as I love AFL, it doesn't pull 60,000 at average...60,000 is a great crowd.
80,000+ is a kickarse crowd.

30-35 would be an average crowd in AFL...except when the Bulldogs or Kangas are playing...

It still beats the average league crowd of 10-15 thousand,all these league fans are so passionate, but they cant be stuffed getting of there ars%s and actually going.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #221
kremmen

Crowds schmowds.

You southern fairies would pay & get excited to watch the tide come in.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #222
Phoon Hoon

NRL for me.

AFL is just a big game of forcem's back. Rugby is boring and soccer is dominated by divers.

League rates better than AFL. Someone has already mentioned the pay TV. Also, look at last year when both Sydney (AFL) and Melbourne (NRL) played in the grand finals.

The NRL being shown in Melbourne kicked the butt of the AFL in Sydney. "Blockbusters" on a Saturday night in Sydney where the Swans are playing live get outrated by the Iron Chef on SBS!

As for crowds, hell even I agree that AFL crowds are bigger... But then again, they get half a million people to the gay mardi gras as well.

Just comes down to the main cities where they're played. Melbourne is a shyte boring drainy rainy place where there's nothing else to do. They have to buy every major sporting event just to try and become the "international city" that Sydney always has been and always will be. Melbourne = try hards.

Sydney is where it's at. When Howard wanted to show off Australia to the rest of the world, hosting the world's most important leaders, he chose to hold APEC in Sydney.

I'm sure though Melbourne could have done the job. They could have the group photo in front of that internationally recognisable Melbourne land mark. The... ummmm??? What's it called??? Hell, help me out here folks..?!?!?!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #223
kremmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
NRL for me.

As for crowds, hell even I agree that AFL crowds are bigger... But then again, they get half a million people to the gay mardi gras as well.
:

He he sweet.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #224
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremmen
Crowds schmowds.

You southern fairies would pay & get excited to watch the tide come in.

Yeah crowds,what a joke.........I meen what sort of a loser would go and watch there team live when you can site on your ar%e and watch it at home..........

It's pretty pathetic that a game as popular as league struggles to pull 15 thousand people to a game,it also decreases the viewing quality for the majority of league fans who are sitting in there loungerooms, because the smaller the crowd the less of a spectacle it is for the loungeroom "diehards".
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #225
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Q: Andrew Johns and Anthony Mundine jump off a cliff. Who wins?

A: Society
Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #226
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Q: Andrew Johns and Anthony Mundine jump off a cliff. Who wins?

A: Society

That is fu%#in gold mate
Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #227
xygthop3
SIR DOOF DOOF =D

i am a sports fanatic..
played soccer, footy and rugby lolz..

still play footy but dnt know if ill be continuing.
4 weeks ago broke my fibukla and cracked it also, dislocated my foot and strained all my ligements..
had an opp last friday...

see how the recovery goess..

this was my 1st opp ever and i hope my last...
ive fractured both my wrist more then once, popped out my ac jount and did my shoulder ligemnts..fractured my right fibula and crakced 3 ribs and also pulled my spine out a bit of an angle AND ALSO strained my lower back igmeents..

YES IM ACCIDENT/INJURY PRONE ...

AFL IS DA BEST ALL ROUND SPORT......pitty its not world wide
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #228
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xygthop3
i am a sports fanatic..
played soccer, footy and rugby lolz..

still play footy but dnt know if ill be continuing.
4 weeks ago broke my fibukla and cracked it also, dislocated my foot and strained all my ligements..
had an opp last friday...

see how the recovery goess..

this was my 1st opp ever and i hope my last...
ive fractured both my wrist more then once, popped out my ac jount and did my shoulder ligemnts..fractured my right fibula and crakced 3 ribs and also pulled my spine out a bit of an angle AND ALSO strained my lower back igmeents..

YES IM ACCIDENT/INJURY PRONE ...

AFL IS DA BEST ALL ROUND SPORT......pitty its not world wide
There are leagues in the U.S.A btw. John Ironmonger, the former Fitzroy ruckman spent a fair bit of time over there, as did Paul Roos.

Don't snap my undies.