Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Technical Area

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #391
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheel & Tyre combo's - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B
What width tyres? I think I've seen some people say that 295/50/15 fit and some that say they don't. Same with 235/60/15 on the front, have heard yes and no there as well.

I'm a fan of the old school look with big sidewall, so want to stay that way. But originally wasn't keen on the 12 slotters but they have grown on me quite a lot I like them.
The 295/15/50 will fit on the back no problem cos that's what I am running provided you have zero offset on the rim
I can't be sure about the 235/60/15 on the front
I would run 235/15/50 on the front as the side wall on the 60 series will look too big (IMO)
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #392
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B
Same with 235/60/15 on the front, have heard yes and no there as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
for the fronts, the height of the 235 is the problem, obviously not the width. a 235 x 15 x 50 would probably suit perfectly. i was hoping to get this size, but the tyre place could not get any. it seems there are some tyres in that size, but not many. a 245 x 15 x 50 should also fit - bf goodrich make/made that, but not all tyre places will be able to get them in or be bothered getting them in
you can adjust the caster forward slightly to fit the 235 x 15 x 60 but in my opinion the front tyre being taller than the rear does not look that great, plus the wheel is no longer centred in the wheel arch. to me a 50 series tyre up to 245 is the way to go. however, 225's are the easiest to find in 50 series to suit a 7 or 8 inch rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
how was that - the problem i found with the rubbing was it was not rubbing on the guard or suspension but on the shell. it was on this bit and except for the offset being different, i cannot see any way the wheel width size can alter it
was the caster (wheel moved forward) adjusted slightly
however, you may have found something to help all xa-xc owners who have yet to buy their wheels

but anyone with 15 x 8 and 235 x 60 can see where the problem is. it is a height thing not width. i would guess that 245 x 15 x 60 would be much worse because the tyre is 12 mm taller. once again (certainly for the 235) moving the wheel forward will get around it and also give slightly better high speed stability (longer wheel base), however it will also give a slightly bigger turning circle and (to me) look slightly out of place, compared to the guard
basically they will fit, but you will need to move your castor a couple of degrees forward. hopefully the quoted posts are easy enough to understand
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #393
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue
The 295/15/50 will fit on the back no problem cos that's what I am running provided you have zero offset on the rim
I can't be sure about the 235/60/15 on the front
I would run 235/15/50 on the front as the side wall on the 60 series will look too big (IMO)
The 295's on a 10" rim? So to be legal I'd need 8" on the front?

And ok, I guess I'll need to see both on and pick from there. Though just looked on an online calculatory thing and the 235/50/15 would be smaller than my 235/60/14s I have at the moment and I don't think I'd want to go smaller.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #394
97elxr6

16"x12" B45's... Cant go wrong!

97elxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #395
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97elxr6
16"x12" B45's... Cant go wrong!

What off set mate? Have you fitted them under your coupe yet? If so how much clearance?

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #396
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue
According to a lot of the guys on the forum a 10 inch rim with zero back space will fit nicely under the car ( back of the car)

Mine are a custom offset so that that they sit as close to the wheel arch as possible without rubbing ( not sure of the actual measurement as I was trying to get the right look visually)

I'm actually upgrading to 19 inch rims as I want a more modern look just saving the dollars at the moment

10 x 15 slotters do come up on eBay from time to time
Can anyone confirm the above ie that "a 10 inch rim with zero back space will fit nicely under the car ( back of the car)"?
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #397
cjp

I think every person who owns an XA-C coupe runs 15x10" with a central offest (5" backspace) and 295/50/R15 tyres. They fit perfectly.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #398
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been told that people who run with that have had to lip their guards.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #399
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp
I think every person who owns an XA-C coupe runs 15x10" with a central offest (5" backspace) and 295/50/R15 tyres. They fit perfectly.
Quoted for truth
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #400
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it was Dave (auslandau) who said his 15 x 10's Convo pros scraped before the guards were shaved. Biggest I've gone before is 15 x 8
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #401
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-GTS
I think it was Dave (auslandau) who said his 15 x 10's Convo pros scraped before the guards were shaved. Biggest I've gone before is 15 x 8
Twas me With 295;s on I had to take only a few mm filed from the inside of the guard. It was just the slightest amount though. Didn't need to roll them and only took a few minutes to get right.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #402
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-GTS
Can anyone confirm the above ie that "a 10 inch rim with zero back space will fit nicely under the car ( back of the car)"?
I have 17x10's with zero offset and a 315 tyre and i can get my hand between the guard and tyre, i got the ***** when i saw that, should have gone another inch wider on the wheel although the plod would not approve. ....oh well maybe next time. Check this pic link shows a photo under the car of the tyre.

Old 21-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #403
Jallopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Twas me With 295;s on I had to take only a few mm filed from the inside of the guard. It was just the slightest amount though. Didn't need to roll them and only took a few minutes to get right.
I thought the convo pros were a 4.5 " backspace wheel in the 10x15. Not zero offset or 5" back space.

So maybe that would acount for the very minor touch.
Old 21-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #404
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefordman
I have 17x10's with zero offset and a 315 tyre and i can get my hand between the guard and tyre, i got the ***** when i saw that, should have gone another inch wider on the wheel although the plod would not approve. ....oh well maybe next time. Check this pic link shows a photo under the car of the tyre.

Looks good to me. The great thing is you can go nice and low, still have decent sized rubber and not worry about scrapeage.

That's gotta be better than having to lip your guards or have to lift its bum to clear the guards.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #405
Buildn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau

I had a set of convo pro 15x10 5 inch backspace that fit perfectly with heaps of space on both sides. I damaged them and while i waited for a replacement set i got a new diff centre and upgraded tailshaft. Once i put the new replacement 15x10 5 inch backspace set on, the tyres (same 295s that were on first set) scraped really bad on left side. I thought i had been sent the wrong offset so i measured both sets while off the car and they are identical in every way. Couldnt figure it out so took it to a suspension mob and they tweaked a few things and now they only just just fit on the left hand side, still a bit confused as to what went wrong. Any ideas?
15 AMG C63S TTV8
Buildn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #406
FDCOOP
Phantom coupe

Question Re: Wheel & Tyre combo's - Coupe

Will 17x11 with a 315 tyre fit under a coupe and no lipping or diff mods... With the correct offset and backspace off course.... Has anyone got a pic of this im just wondering how low it can go without scrubbing if at all
x1 full time toy addiction.
FDCOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #407
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Does anyone have a copy of the latest Tyre & Rim Association Passenger Car Manual that they can post up?

Cheers
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #408
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FDCOOP Re: Wheel & Tyre combo's - Coupe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will 17x11 with a 315 tyre fit under a coupe and no lipping or diff mods... With the correct offset and backspace off course.... Has anyone got a pic of this im just wondering how low it can go without scrubbing if at all
Here you go-

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11361067
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #409
Jallopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildn View Post
I had a set of convo pro 15x10 5 inch backspace that fit perfectly with heaps of space on both sides. I damaged them and while i waited for a replacement set i got a new diff centre and upgraded tailshaft. Once i put the new replacement 15x10 5 inch backspace set on, the tyres (same 295s that were on first set) scraped really bad on left side. I thought i had been sent the wrong offset so i measured both sets while off the car and they are identical in every way. Couldnt figure it out so took it to a suspension mob and they tweaked a few things and now they only just just fit on the left hand side, still a bit confused as to what went wrong. Any ideas?
When you damaged them you didnt slide out and clip the gutter by any chance Thus pushing the diff sideways?
Old 19-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #410
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDCOOP View Post
Here you go, 17 x 11, -12mm offset and 5.5 inch backspace.

Turbo XD Ute - Project Thread
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #411
greenjgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy View Post
When you damaged them you didnt slide out and clip the gutter by any chance Thus pushing the diff sideways?
The diff in every Hardtop I've seen sits 1/4" towards the LH side. My 15 x 10 V5's rubbed until I centred the diff correctly. Need to do the same thing on the racer.
greenjgs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #412
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjgs View Post
The diff in every Hardtop I've seen sits 1/4" towards the LH side.

Yes, I have noticed this on around 7 Coupes as well.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #413
Buildn

Thanks for your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallopy
No the damage was done while cleaning the rims, so no impact of any sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjgs
The diff in every Hardtop I've seen sits 1/4" towards the LH side. My 15 x 10 V5's rubbed until I centred the diff correctly. Need to do the same thing on the racer.
Thats what i had heard as well but in this case the diff was sitting too far to the right, and even getting the wheels/diff moved as far left as possible they now still sit about 1/4 to 1/2 inch closer to the right hand side but dont rub(just). Before the wheels were replaced I never measured the gaps so not sure if there was a difference in clearances between each side then, but both rear wheels didnt rub until they were swapped and diff centre changed.
15 AMG C63S TTV8
Buildn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #414
VAJ
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefordman View Post

Dan(the fordman), can you confirm the backspace and also what size tyres you are using to have that amount of clearance to the guard? also whats the clearance to the leafspring? cheers
PS what are you running at the front please? wheel size/tyre size/backspace and clearance to guard/suspension - if you dont mind please?? cheers
VAJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #415
xcburger351

Hey can anybody help .. Apparently I need an engineers certificate or get 20' on to my car with a 35mm off set ... How do I go about that???

religion is for the weak ( or is that sheep)
xcburger351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #416
Borgy57
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Here is my project with, Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro 28X12.5-15's.
Comparing them to 295/15-15 T/A's:

Fitted on 15X10 Convo's with 3.75 back spacing and a shortened diff:
Just started to build an xa coupe have the same wheels with the deep offset , going to shorten the diff to suit , just wondering how the tyres worked for you , all good with clearances ? Any help would be much appreciated.
Borgy57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #417
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAJ View Post
Dan(the fordman), can you confirm the backspace and also what size tyres you are using to have that amount of clearance to the guard? also whats the clearance to the leafspring? cheers
PS what are you running at the front please? wheel size/tyre size/backspace and clearance to guard/suspension - if you dont mind please?? cheers
Sorry Vaj, I know this is very late in replying but i only just checked this for the first time in ages. Rear wheels are 17x10 zero offset which means 5 inch back space, same as all coupes run with wide tyres generally. I have 315/35/17 tyres on it but am running modified suspension so there are no longer any leaves to worry about but you will find with zero offset all should be fine. Fronts are 17x8 with 245/40/17 tyres i think, might be 45 series but they are too big and rub on the chassis on lock. Not sure on back space either. I will need to do some clearancing to get them right or drop the profile which i dont want to do especially with rubbish state of our roads.
Old 13-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #418
Fish17

Going with a proven safe combo of Performance Challengers 15x10 Rear fitted with Kuhmo 295x50x15 (676 Rolling Circumference), 15x8 Fronts fitted with Kuhmo 225x60x15 (651 Rolling Circumference) to replace the old 14x8 12 Slot Chromies fitted with 225x65x14 all round. What do you guys think? Shouldn't be any clearance issues, am I being to conservative? Will be lowering the car an inch or 2 all round before its back on the road.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
Fish17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #419
FDCOOP
Phantom coupe

Red face Re: Wheel & Tyre combo's - Coupe

Hey fish it sure sounds fine from what I've seen around and its as you said it's a proven combo it'll all depend on you're ride height as far as scrubbing goes. I'm running a 315/30/18x10 it's what I always wanted for my coupe build..... mind you it cost me 5 grand for a full diff build but they fit under perfectly.
x1 full time toy addiction.
FDCOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #420
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Ah, the good ole Challengers. Off the shelf they have a 4.5" backspace. With 295/50x15 they will scrape standard un-lipped wheel arches, big time if lowered. You would need to lip the arches and pump them slightly.

Everyone I know that runs 295's on these rims has lipped guards, as in lipped almost flat and lifted slightly in the bum.

With 265/50x15 they'll sit nice and not scrape. I had some on mine and the only scraping I had was when fully loaded and under full suspension compression like at the bottom of a dip. I wouldn't have had a hope with 295's

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post