Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
plext
Forum Director

Default Can't access the for sale section? Look here.

If you suddenly cannot see the for sale section then it is more than likely we have removed access.

I direct your attention here.

The grace period is over and we will be removing threads and access to the section without warning from here on in.

We are very serious about cleaning up this section, please take note of all requirements before posting in that area.

plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Just to clarify, if you are actually interested in an item, are you allowed to ask questions etc in the thread, or does all correspondence need to be taken to PM?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Just to clarify, if you are actually interested in an item, are you allowed to ask questions etc in the thread, or does all correspondence need to be taken to PM?
Justin general questions related to the item are fine to be in the threads, its just stuff like "i wish i could buy it", or debate about the price etc that we're getting rid of.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about posts of URLs to outside sites that contain information about the item if people ask about more info (even if its not your thread)?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
what about posts of URLs to outside sites that contain information about the item if people ask about more info (even if its not your thread)?
If it's genuinely helpful (yes, yours was, my mistake) then yes it's ok.

What we are aiming for is to cut down on all the "This isn't worth this" "I wish I could" "These on site x are better" and similar posts which were infesting that section, along with the incessant bumping.

It is not a general discussion area and we'd like to see it not used as such.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
plext
Forum Director

The code behind the sales yard area has now been modified.

Threads cannot be bumped, they will now display in the order they are posted and will remain in that order no matter when the last reply is.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it possible to adjust the code further to allow an item to be moved to the top if it hasn't been moved in a certain period of time, e.g. a week?
I am currently looking for something in the sales section and without people being able to bump their items to the top it is hard to say what is still available and what is not.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Is it possible to adjust the code further to allow an item to be moved to the top if it hasn't been moved in a certain period of time, e.g. a week?
that defeats the purpose of having the code to stop bumping.

Quote:
I am currently looking for something in the sales section and without people being able to bump their items to the top it is hard to say what is still available and what is not.
its pretty easy, if an item sells, the seller is sposed to PM a Mod or even just put SOLD in the thread and it will be removed.
if they havent done this, ask if the item is still available.
or make a WANTED thread instead.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
that defeats the purpose of having the code to stop bumping.

its pretty easy, if an item sells, the seller is sposed to PM a Mod or even just put SOLD in the thread and it will be removed.
if they havent done this, ask if the item is still available.
or make a WANTED thread instead.
Once every week or two will keep people from bumping their topic to the top every day and still have the effect of reducing the overall number of spam posts in the sales yard, while letting people who have something to sell keep their item on the first few pages.

I have placed a wanted ad but I'm not counting on sellers coming to me. How many sellers actually PM a mod when their item has sold?

At any rate it's just a suggestion and one I hope will be considered.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
bumping is not on, end of story. as davway has mentioned, its very easy to keep track of what is available and what isnt - if a seller PM's a mod to let us know the item is sold, we can move the thread. The other option is to post "SOLD" in the thread, then it can be moved.

And for the record, a lot of people PM me to let me know when they sell things.
Old 15-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I sort have to agree with Twisted here. It is much harder to navigate the for sale section now. You have to scroll through pages and pages to see what has a new post. I understand why it was changed but it does amke it harder for a potential buyer to use. Why not just delete the thread if someone bumps or ban them for a period of time? Surely people would think twice about bumping if they are going to be banned.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXLS
I sort have to agree with Twisted here. It is much harder to navigate the for sale section now. You have to scroll through pages and pages to see what has a new post. I understand why it was changed but it does amke it harder for a potential buyer to use. Why not just delete the thread if someone bumps or ban them for a period of time? Surely people would think twice about bumping if they are going to be banned.
you can browse the forum by using the NEW POSTS BUTTON, this brings up EVERY thread that has a new post since your last visit.
threads do get deleted, people do get banned.
however, there are still plenty of users here who think the rules do not apply to them.
maybe, we should be looking at having the rules attached to the for sale template and a little check box that says "check here if you have read the following".
once checked, this makes sure the rules have been read and understood and if they still cant follow the rules, the thread is gone without warning.
(if they dont actually read the rules - theyll figure it out).
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you can browse the forum by using the NEW POSTS BUTTON, this brings up EVERY thread that has a new post since your last visit.
threads do get deleted, people do get banned.
however, there are still plenty of users here who think the rules do not apply to them.
maybe, we should be looking at having the rules attached to the for sale template and a little check box that says "check here if you have read the following".
once checked, this makes sure the rules have been read and understood and if they still cant follow the rules, the thread is gone without warning.
(if they dont actually read the rules - theyll figure it out).
I don't access the sales section every time I come to the site - therefore the New Posts wouldn't show up each time I want it. Also if everyone did check the new posts that would make bumping effective again, would it not?
Old 19-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
plext
Forum Director

It is staying as it is.
Old 25-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I'd have to agree with the points being made here about the last posts.
I just had a brief discussion with a mod here about it as I thought my browser was playing up or something. The mod told me the goss and suggested I voice my concern here.

So here I am, voicing my concern.

The current method of sifting though the sale yard is crap.
I understand your need to reduce/eliminate bumping, however what's been done has also hampered browsing in a severe way.

It would be great if some more thought could be put into this to rectify it.

Rick.
Old 25-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I'd have to agree with the points being made here about the last posts.
I just had a brief discussion with a mod here about it as I thought my browser was playing up or something. The mod told me the goss and suggested I voice my concern here.

So here I am, voicing my concern.

The current method of sifting though the sale yard is crap.
I understand your need to reduce/eliminate bumping, however what's been done has also hampered browsing in a severe way.

It would be great if some more thought could be put into this to rectify it.

Rick.
Open to suggestions...........
Old 25-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Change it back to how it was, and give much harder penalties to the bumpers. Castration perhaps?

Rick.
Old 25-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Use the thread subscription feature. If you browse the sales yard and see an item you want to check on later, subscribe to the thread. Then, using the Quick Links button under the sponsors banner, you can find those threads in seconds.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I had a look at the For Sale section the other day and I found it confusing. Is there a way it can be divided into States?? I know it is good to look at everything on there...and there are bargins but things may move quicker if they were divided into states. That is just my opinion.
Old 26-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ok an expansion of my last suggestion. Yes I am aware it would involve considerable coding and possibly db changes.

Step 1. Revert back to the way it was (new posts bring the item to the top)
Step 2. Apply an expiry date to all new for sale / wanted threads.
Step 3. Add a button to the threads that will extend the expiry date (maybe by a week). Only enable the button if the expiry date is within a few days.
Step 4. Once a thread expires it can be assumed that the item is sold / no longer for sale / OP lost interest. It is automatically deleted.
Step 5. With this new button available, anyone who bumps can be warned / temp banned etc.

I'd also suggest adding a SOLD button which allows the OP to delete or lock the thread themselves.

This would have several benefits
a) Fewer posts = smaller database
b) Less workload for the mods as they don't need to manually delete threads when an item is sold
c) No abusive bumping is allowed
d) Smaller number of threads in the sales yard at any one time

Anyone please feel free to post your thoughts / suggestions / changes. I understand the challenges the sales yard mods face, but the current system just makes it harder for everyone.
Old 26-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I had a look at the For Sale section the other day and I found it confusing. Is there a way it can be divided into States?? I know it is good to look at everything on there...and there are bargins but things may move quicker if they were divided into states. That is just my opinion.
May I also suggest the STATE field in the template be modified to a combo box that lists the states. Then there is no confusion about what that field is there for (i.e. I have seen it read as "condition"), and all you would have to do is search for "(WA)" or "(VIC)" to bring up results for your state. Breaking it up is not a good idea in my opinion, because people are willing to travel for the right car, or arrange postage for parts.
Old 26-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it the way it is. Makes it much easier to find new items in there.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #23
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
I like it the way it is. Makes it much easier to find new items in there.
That's true, but only if you are a regular to the sales yard.
Old 26-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #24
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
That's true, but only if you are a regular to the sales yard.
Bingo!

Now it’s important to remember this is a service offered by the Admin to benefit/reward the frequent users and contributors to this forum. They do not benefit per item sold like ebay. All these suggestions are nice idea but it’s a lot easier for admin to remove the section and not have to worry about the problem!

Learn to use it as it is, as has been said the “subscribe thread” option works wonders

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
Bingo!

Now it’s important to remember this is a service offered by the Admin to benefit/reward the frequent users and contributors to this forum. They do not benefit per item sold like ebay. All these suggestions are nice idea but it’s a lot easier for admin to remove the section and not have to worry about the problem!

Learn to use it as it is, as has been said the “subscribe thread” option works wonders
Just because you frequent the forums doesn't mean you frequent the sales yard. Of course the forum doesn't benefit like eBay, it's a free service (and one that is appreciated) and all I am suggesting is ways to make both user and admin friendly.

If the admins want to remove it then that's their choice. I'm sure it takes a big chunk of the mod's time. But if you do that, I expect you will see a lot more sales threads in the other forums.

It's an excellent service and a big drawing point for the forums as a whole. Why not make it as easy to use (for those browsing, not necessarily those starting threads) as the rest of the forums?
Old 26-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #26
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
It doesn't work anywhere near as good as it did before.
Why re-invent the wheel when the old way worked great.
Surely their are other ways to deter bumpers, why stuff it up for everyone else.

Rick.
Old 26-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #27
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Seems to work for me

Able to list an item, able to buy an item, able to search an item, crap postings cut down, banter removed, idiots blocked.

Can probably develop a special forum for say $100 to list an item, $50 a month to view them, $50 a month to search them $50 a month to post in it, $50 a month to let idiots go wild

Get the idea...
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Get the idea...
Yep, sure do.
So much for 'b2tf' saying 'Open to suggestions...........'
Seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Rick.
Old 26-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #29
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Now Now Rick

You should be aware by now we completely ignore your suggestions without a moments hesitation, and to make sure we are kept amused we allow you the opportunity to post in this thread to.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Now Now Rick

You should be aware by now we completely ignore your suggestions without a moments hesitation, and to make sure we are kept amused we allow you the opportunity to post in this thread to.
:

Rick.