Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-03-2023, 11:56 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Q: 16” Demo Saw Blade Life

I’ve got an interesting prospective job, to demolish two sides of a rectangular inground concrete pool. Well, it’s 50% inground, the rest above. The remaining two sides to be stripped of coping and clad with sleepers as 800mm tall retaining walls once the “tub” is filled to natural ground level.

There’s no access to bring in a useful sized digger, and not really any way for it to manoeuvre. So I’m looking at sawing into 35-ish kg squares that can be barrowed out. As the prospective client is not in a hurry and not expecting a whiz-bang transformation over 48H, this approach seems a good fit.

Rough calcs give me about 200m of sawing, I’m guessing the concrete will be around 100-120mm thick. Has anyone here done a lot of wet sawing in reinforced concrete - looking for thoughts on how many 16” pro grade diamond blades it might use for this meterage? Gut feeling is two, but I’m prepared to stand corrected.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 08:13 AM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Q: 16” Demo Saw Blade Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve got an interesting prospective job, to demolish two sides of a rectangular inground concrete pool. Well, it’s 50% inground, the rest above. The remaining two sides to be stripped of coping and clad with sleepers as 800mm tall retaining walls once the “tub” is filled to natural ground level.

There’s no access to bring in a useful sized digger, and not really any way for it to manoeuvre. So I’m looking at sawing into 35-ish kg squares that can be barrowed out. As the prospective client is not in a hurry and not expecting a whiz-bang transformation over 48H, this approach seems a good fit.

Rough calcs give me about 200m of sawing, I’m guessing the concrete will be around 100-120mm thick. Has anyone here done a lot of wet sawing in reinforced concrete - looking for thoughts on how many 16” pro grade diamond blades it might use for this meterage? Gut feeling is two, but I’m prepared to stand corrected.
Using a petrol powered demo ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, I’ll actually buy a used one - don’t own ATM.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:34 AM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yes, I’ll actually buy a used one - don’t own ATM.
Good, I've noticed new ones have come down quite a lot in price recently.
You might go through a few (3-4) blades on hardened concrete depended on how much water you keep up to the blade and reo bar in the walls.
Good sledgehammer and large prybar wouldn't go astray either.

Hiring one is reasonable but you will be charged for the blade damage anyway so be better off owning one yourself.
What are you paying for the blades $250 each ??

Old 05-03-2023, 11:50 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, seen plenty of slab cutting in the past, just haven’t done more than 4-5m at a time myself. Cut into blocks, use the bar to widen a gap in the middle and pry up. Only change is I’m no longer game to work solo with handling the blocks. Almost 10 weeks of being incapacitated then only light duties has re-shaped my attitude there.

Blade example:
https://sydneytools.com.au/product/e...zenesis-blades

Because I’ll probably be cutting 3-3,5 tonnes each workday, between hire cost and blade wear it points you to ownership instead. Plenty of interesting stuff in 16”, eg: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hinc...saw/1308316380 versus: https://www.kennards.com.au/for-hire...m-16-in-petrol
Old 05-03-2023, 12:03 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I suppose one of the salient points of my original post is that someone with knowledge of pool concrete or structure might chime in and say the results favour one direction or another because of (say) aggregate type, or steel fabric, or placing technique.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:16 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yes, seen plenty of slab cutting in the past, just haven’t done more than 4-5m at a time myself. Cut into blocks, use the bar to widen a gap in the middle and pry up. Only change is I’m no longer game to work solo with handling the blocks. Almost 10 weeks of being incapacitated then only light duties has re-shaped my attitude there.

Blade example:
https://sydneytools.com.au/product/e...zenesis-blades

Because I’ll probably be cutting 3-3,5 tonnes each workday, between hire cost and blade wear it points you to ownership instead. Plenty of interesting stuff in 16”, eg: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hinc...saw/1308316380 versus: https://www.kennards.com.au/for-hire...m-16-in-petrol
I've used them for cutting large long granite blocks, turning them into fireplace hearths, helped by gad pins (plugs n feathers) but of course they do not have steel inside.
Did use them occasionally onsite, cut the doorways through on the Contemporary Arts Musuem at Circular Quay. Lower plinth walls are 4ft (1200mm) thick of poilshed Balmoral granite and firebricks. Top section easy to do by hand being Bondi stone.
Concrete at least it will bite easier than a poilshed surface.
Have you got a hand trolley you can slip the squares onto for moving them off ?
Most are rated at 250kg.
Lots of water on the blades will cool the diamond cutting tip down so they should keep reasonably sharp but I would say 200m into blocks will take 3-4.

This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

They say nothing handles like a rented car; nothing cuts like a hired demo saw.

In cutting 30 blocks I probably used half a blade with plenty of water flow, the pool is rendered over pump concrete that’s been a really hot mix - got lime burns from the slurry where it caked thickly on my arms and legs. Also some N12 bar or similar in here around the top perimeter. Machine running time was about 2:45 over a three-and-a-hair hour period onsite. So, good productivity but yes, heavy wear costs over the whole of job.

Credit to Kennards for “tidying” the invoice down to four hours and also not charging extra on the blade wear. Lot of equipment in the shop today, as if business is down a bit for them.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I knew this question was in roK territory.
Your in good hands CB as you well know.
This job will pick up your fitness barrowing out to a "bin" ? or tip drops ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Kimbriki, by the tonne/uteload - where else?

How’s this for chafing with added lime burn?
Got to say, it makes wall sawing in single skin brick look like a kids’ game.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2023, 09:29 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
How’s this for chafing with added lime burn?
Careful flashing the leg might get Cav's lustful attention even if they're not up to Tina Turner's.