Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #1
John 13

Default Minimum Wage.

Watching this, plenty of interest from industries that use labour hire (have been called body shops) Recently a WA mining exec said it all - use minimum permanent employees, only need to give one hours notice, no responsibility and no admin etc. In my opinion in some cases along with part time rosters and back packer arrangements it is only a short step away from modern slavery.
I realise that it is virtually impossible in a lot of service industries to get an increase in productivity despite an increase in the minimum wage. There is however an alternative, self service ! (Please wait till I die) Have noted an increase in those fully self service fuel contraptions around the country.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2023, 09:09 PM   #2
ford12

Default Re: Minimum Wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john 13 View Post
watching this, plenty of interest from industries that use labour hire (have been called body shops) recently a wa mining exec said it all - use minimum permanent employees, only need to give one hours notice, no responsibility and no admin etc. In my opinion in some cases along with part time rosters and back packer arrangements it is only a short step away from modern slavery.
I realise that it is virtually impossible in a lot of service industries to get an increase in productivity despite an increase in the minimum wage. There is however an alternative, self service ! (please wait till i die) have noted an increase in those fully self service fuel contraptions around the country.
wtf..
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2023, 10:27 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no idea what he is trying to say.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2023, 12:18 AM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
At a guess... the minimum wage rise will eventually flow through to every other award/EBA. At a time we arent increasing our productivity, but arguably, going backwards in that regard. Look at the amount of office workers resisting calls to return to the office, workers 'quiet quitting' etc. People at the bottom are getting smashed by inflation, but ultimately, they're the ones whose job security is most sensitive to labour rates, so I suspect they'll be the ones thrown first on the scrap heap when business begins tightening its belt. Something tells me 2023 won't be a merry xmas...
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 12:18 AM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
At a guess... the minimum wage rise will eventually flow through to every other award/EBA. At a time we arent increasing our productivity, but arguably, going backwards in that regard. Look at the amount of office workers resisting calls to return to the office, workers 'quiet quitting' etc. People at the bottom are getting smashed by inflation, but ultimately, they're the ones whose job security is most sensitive to labour rates, so I suspect they'll be the ones thrown first on the scrap heap when business begins tightening its belt. Something tells me 2023 won't be a merry xmas...
The studies in favour of working from home vastly outnumber those against (in my experience). There is no reason to force people back to the office full time. It makes the morning commute far more bearable for those who do have to go in.

Quiet quitting is just another term for doing your job. No more and no less. I was in my last position for three years, 6 months before I left I took stock of the extra duties I had somehow picked up that were not a part of my position that I wasn’t being paid for. Why should I do them for free when the company is making millions in profits?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
John 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
(Minimum Wage post.)I apologise for not taking the time to be more explicit but secretarial/clerical activity has never appealed to me.
However today what I was trying to say and a lot more explanation has been posted in an Analysis piece on the ABC News website by Ian Verrender. It is entitled “Profits, pay and productivity. Who is to blame for inflation”
For what my opinion may be worth I recommend that we all should read and digest this article.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2023, 09:56 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I see.

There is plenty of evidence that working from home increases productivity. My wife's job is a perfect example, she still works from home and her work productivity has increased significantly.

Previously travelling nearly an hour and a half to work each way, with petrol prices the way they are now it would not even be viable for her to travel to work.

We used to buy tyres every 10-12 months usually before rego time, car used to be serviced every 6 - 8 weeks for oil changes. Now we don't even own the car any more.

Added benefit someone is always home, so home security, animals have supervision (recently saved the life of my daughter horse because the wife was home and able to call the vet).

I go out to work and generally get the shopping on the way home so saving even more in fuel running costs considering we are 30 minutes from the closest supermarket.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
The studies in favour of working from home vastly outnumber those against (in my experience).
IME, the people who want to WFH are the ones who say this, when I've gone looking for the evidence, the jury is out. It can be more productive to a point, but then becomes less productive as the hours away from the office increase. It's also highly likely to be down to the individual - some people do well with no supervision, some just spend the day in their PJs scratching their balls.

Quote:
Quiet quitting is just another term for doing your job. No more and no less.
Except by default we're doing less than the 9-5 we get paid for. We duck out for coffee, we stand around chatting discussing what we watched last night or did on the weekend, we stuff around on our phones, etc. If people were more productive during the day, they may not need to take work home.

Ultimately, in a market where unemployment is low, managers arent in much of a position to crack the whip. In a recession, that wont be the case.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2023, 10:32 PM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IME, the people who want to WFH are the ones who say this, when I've gone looking for the evidence, the jury is out. It can be more productive to a point, but then becomes less productive as the hours away from the office increase. It's also highly likely to be down to the individual - some people do well with no supervision, some just spend the day in their PJs scratching their balls.

Except by default we're doing less than the 9-5 we get paid for. We duck out for coffee, we stand around chatting discussing what we watched last night or did on the weekend, we stuff around on our phones, etc. If people were more productive during the day, they may not need to take work home.

Ultimately, in a market where unemployment is low, managers arent in much of a position to crack the whip. In a recession, that wont be the case.
Those who want to slack off when working will slack off anywhere, they just get more creative in going about it when in the office.. I work in corrections, so I can’t work from home, so working from home isn’t something I can do. But my fiancé does, and I can tell you nine days out of ten she doesn’t finish when she’s meant to, along with the rest of her team. Lunch breaks aren’t taken as often either, and are worked through most of the time.

I have a job description that I work to. I am paid to do a role. I start work at 7, finish at 3. I can do my 8 hours of work in 6 most days. I don’t need to take on more work as that’s not my role. If I do take on more work, I’m doing more work than what I’m paid for. The government takes enough off me, the last thing I need to give them is free work.

Working from home takes pressure off the roads and public transport (making both more pleasant for those who need to use them) and gives people two hours of their lives back. Covid has proven we can do this.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Might even help the housing market by turning all those empty waterside office buildings into apartments.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post