Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-03-2024, 06:15 PM   #1
nibble

Default Thieving b@stds!

Woke up this morning to the sound of my dog barking in the street. Looked in my backyard and was shocked to see my roller door open (my house backs onto an alley). Collected the dog then on to check out what's going on. Look in garage and Mrs car door is open, glove box open and center console open. Fark !!

But how did they open the roller door? Go to car out front of house and it seems both remote controls to the doors are missing. Fark me !! Car was obviously compromised and they got the controls.

Wake the Mrs and get her to check what's missing from the her car. Well sadly a credit card and house keys. So call the bank, locksmith etc.. Also removed and re-coded roller door controls.

So the moral of this story for me is: -
- Leave nothing in your cars in the way of valuables, keys, remote controls

- Lock your car even if in garage
- Use auto-lock settings on your cars
- Add extra locks to roller doors (in process of doing)
- Install security cameras on all access points (process of doing)
- Get a bigger dog (but I love my Jack Russell )

We've lived in the area for 15 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. Not sure if it is a sign of the times or what. We were lucky as no transactions and nothing else taken. Need to stay vigilant with the home security.
nibble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thieving b@stds!

Queensland or somewhere else? Sounds like a Queensland story at the moment.

There was one here recently where a news article was up in arms about Budget Direct refusing to payout on a claim for a Porsche Cayenne after it was stolen from a garage after a break in.

Finer detail in the story was the scumbag cocksuckers broke into the husbands car which contained the remote for the garage, which they used to gain easy access to the garage itself where they found the Porsche unlocked with the spare keys in a handbag in the car... Which they used to simply drive the car away.

Budget won't pay out because they have a specific exclusion in the policy about the keys being left in the car unattended.

But the moral of the story is, we live in a time where thieving bastards are running rampant. Don't leave anything in a car that can give them access to a house, garage or car and don't leave any valuables in the car.

Personally I think its silly to leave stuff like that alone in the car in the best of times. I never ever did.

I wouldn't waste money on security cameras. They aren't a deterrent.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 07:55 PM   #3
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post

Cheap security cameras arent, but decent ones are, I have tracking cameras that will follow movement and ping my phone, they are very good and can tell the difference between human and animal etc, they also have a security light feature that lights the area up like daylight, best money I have ever spent have had no problem since they were installed, can be out there within seconds, ( to play base ball of course )
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 08:02 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

There was one here recently where a news article was up in arms about Budget Direct refusing to payout on a claim for a Porsche Cayenne after it was stolen from a garage after a break in.

Finer detail in the story was the scumbag cocksuckers broke into the husbands car which contained the remote for the garage, which they used to gain easy access to the garage itself where they found the Porsche unlocked with the spare keys in a handbag in the car... Which they used to simply drive the car away.

Budget won't pay out because they have a specific exclusion in the policy about the keys being left in the car unattended.

But the moral of the story is, we live in a time where thieving bastards are running rampant. Don't leave anything in a car that can give them access to a house, garage or car and don't leave any valuables in the car.

Personally I think its silly to leave stuff like that alone in the car in the best of times. I never ever did.

Work associate had his car stolen from home, car was behind locked gates but had keys in it, his insurance scrubbed him for that reason of keys in car.
I've always have been in the habit of my vehicles being locked and house properly secured, something I've learnt from my younger days from knowing certain individuals who did this shit.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 08:29 PM   #5
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Cheap security cameras arent, but decent ones are, I have tracking cameras that will follow movement and ping my phone, they are very good and can tell the difference between human and animal etc, they also have a security light feature that lights the area up like daylight, best money I have ever spent have had no problem since they were installed, can be out there within seconds, ( to play base ball of course )
Here and in a growing number of places they don't care. Thieves here dance and play games for the camera during break ins. They point at the cameras, smile and wave as they walk off with the contents of your garage or front yard.

Because they know even if the cops follow up on the footage, they will be out the next day to do it again.

Cameras are only worthwhile if someone is going to do something with the footage. Which most often doesn't happen. Even then they can cover their faces and you can't always be home or awake.
Old 11-03-2024, 08:32 PM   #6
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Work associate had his car stolen from home, car was behind locked gates but had keys in it, his insurance scrubbed him for that reason of keys in car.
I've always have been in the habit of my vehicles being locked and house properly secured, something I've learnt from my younger days from knowing certain individuals who did this shit.
Yep, it says in insurance policies to take reasonable steps to secure the keys and car while its unattended at a minimum. In the case of Budget they specifically have lines about where the keys cant be left.

In most states, if not all, its illegal to leave the keys in the car or car unlocked while being unattended. Because cops and insurance companies get sick and tired of chasing thieves when the crime is entirely preventable.
Old 11-03-2024, 08:51 PM   #7
nibble

Thanks for the replies and heads up on keys left in cars. This was inner Melb.
nibble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 09:32 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Here and in a growing number of places they don't care. Thieves here dance and play games for the camera during break ins. They point at the cameras, smile and wave as they walk off with the contents of your garage or front yard.

Because they know even if the cops follow up on the footage, they will be out the next day to do it again.

Cameras are only worthwhile if someone is going to do something with the footage. Which most often doesn't happen. Even then they can cover their faces and you can't always be home or awake.
You are definitely correct with the young ones these days, they are thumbing their noses at our justice systems which is weak in deterrence, social media is the boasting platform for these little thugs.
The woke system is certainly letting the public down these days.
6 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 09:44 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Im talking 15 years ago, but a couple of guys i worked with who lived in the eastern suburbs of sydney, so coogee, bondi or that area. They would intentionally leave their cars unlocked but with nothing in the car. The junkies wouldnt steal cars, they'd just raid them for anything of value to cash converters. For the blokes who i worked with it was easier then having the window bricked or worse, the brick missing the window 1st go and doing a number on the door.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #10
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Cops and insurance say hide keys to prevent car thefts.

You know what else prevents car thefts? Criminals LOCKED IN JAIL!

We need to go back to the 70's when the cops sorted them out on the street...or the owners did if/when they got caught.

These are not children...they are criminals...being bored or daddy hits you is not an excuse..you break the law you should have no protection.

About time Govt woke up.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 10:14 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

In another thread, member hawkgirl made a comment about crime in the Dubbo area that sounded like weary, lived-experience exasperation.

It prompted me to look at the NSW government BOCSAR statistics. Amazingly they haven’t yet been “sanitised” to remove some interesting aspects. What really surprised, was to see how many court appearances for the offence of breaching bail, were then allowing the defendant to be released on bail again!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 10:16 PM   #12
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Im talking 15 years ago, but a couple of guys i worked with who lived in the eastern suburbs of sydney, so coogee, bondi or that area. They would intentionally leave their cars unlocked but with nothing in the car. The junkies wouldnt steal cars, they'd just raid them for anything of value to cash converters. For the blokes who i worked with it was easier then having the window bricked or worse, the brick missing the window 1st go and doing a number on the door.

i happened to look out my bedroom window many years ago .. to see two young fellas trying to break into me val!. car was unlocked lol and they quickly vanished when chased.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 10:25 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Nearly all young offenders that ARE caught seem to automatically get bail..
Many are already out on bail when again caught… Some breaking bail 2 or 3 times and still walking free..
Why not a bail provision of mandatory ankle bracelets?
Or would that be too much of an invasion of the little darlings civil liberties?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 10:44 PM   #14
Kicking back

Young offenders, we like to think they get off with a slap on the wrist, but that would be child abuse. They get off scott free. Its not right. I would like to say blame the parents, but, only part of it could be the parents influence, maybe all of it depending, but kids have brains and are capable of dumb moves. Well, charge the kids and hold their parents liable.
Old 11-03-2024, 10:53 PM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibble View Post
So the moral of this story for me is: -
- Leave nothing in your cars in the way of valuables, keys, remote controls

- Lock your car even if in garage
- Use auto-lock settings on your cars
- Add extra locks to roller doors (in process of doing)
- Install security cameras on all access points (process of doing)
- Get a bigger dog (but I love my Jack Russell )

We've lived in the area for 15 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. Not sure if it is a sign of the times or what. We were lucky as no transactions and nothing else taken. Need to stay vigilant with the home security.
Not sure where you live (but this is what I do).

- Lock your car even if in garage (I do not lock cars but all keys are in my bedroom with me)

- Use auto-lock settings on your cars (my cars do not have this they are 25 -50 years old)

- Add extra locks to roller doors (in process of doing) (I would not do that, but that really depends on where you live)

- Install security cameras on all access points (process of doing) (I have Eufy 4 K cameras, love them, they cover my whole property and can be monitored from anywhere with mobile coverage)

- Get a bigger dog (but I love my Jack Russell ) (haha, was going to suggest that, had a 40kg Husky/German Shepherd/Malamute cross, he would have annihilated anyone coming into the property. Unfortunately he passed nearly two years ago, I had trouble sleeping once he went as I felt vulnerable, got a pure bred Husky, and he would lick anyone to death (should have gotten a Shepherd), but he will let me know if anything out of the ordinary is going one even to the extend when the cat goes on the table).

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 11:12 PM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

One
Never leave key in the car like wtf.
Two - credit card left in car - again wtf, I would tell my wife you kidding me !
Cameras is good no matter what others say.
At least you have a file to download for some form of evidence, cheap form of security Liv them as well.
Sorry of your experience mate, no matter the amount of security some f tards will beat the deterrent’s but I feel slightly secure having something that may help and good for insurance policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 11:22 PM   #17
Kicking back

What did the blimp say in the proper gone in 60 seconds movie, the one with the stupidely long car chase?

No not the one with big lips and dichlaus cage.

Last edited by .:4:.; 11-03-2024 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2024, 11:29 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not a patch on Alice. I'm on their Action for Alice FB page, holy crepe.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 10:09 AM   #19
HIPO
Al

Have always had everything here set to minimize anyone getting " the jump" on myself & furry friends!
My Mastiffs have been the best, as theyre full on with patrolling borders & alerting you even if something is just out of place. Great sense of smell along with the obvious dog hearing.
Getting older now & wouldnt want to be without at least 1.
HIPO is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 08:10 PM   #20
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
In another thread, member hawkgirl made a comment about crime in the Dubbo area that sounded like weary, lived-experience exasperation.

It prompted me to look at the NSW government BOCSAR statistics. Amazingly they haven’t yet been “sanitised” to remove some interesting aspects. What really surprised, was to see how many court appearances for the offence of breaching bail, were then allowing the defendant to be released on bail again!
Come to Victoria, the only state where you can keep on breaching bail conditions multiples times, and you still "Get out of Gaol cards" to keep on offending, the Justice system is a basket case down here.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 10:21 PM   #21
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

You dont have to be at home asleep to be a victim either.

You can just be driving to the shops or standing on the footpath and you get wiped out by a 13 year old driving a massive Pajero...been half a dozen people killed like this already in Qld but no meaningful changes while Puddleduck and Giggles are in charge.

Police in Townsville were ordered back to the station after the crims rammed them, they know they cant be chased if they make it dangerous. Every park here has large boulders around them now to stop donuts, looks terrible. Townsville finally got a Police chopper after 9 years of complaining...must be an election coming.

It is up to the govt to change the laws to what the public victims...not the dogooders...want. I'd start with minimum sentences at a work camp type place with no phone service out in the sticks. For many kids current prison is like the Hilton compared to their homes, 3 meals, bed, air con and TV etc.

Ankle bracelets in Qld have been only used on about 3 kids, they have the right to refuse to wear them...great law. Charging parents is only paying for it ourselves through our taxes as most of their parents are not wealthy. If a wealthy brat well sure, fine mum and dad. But 90% of us will just get a higher insurance bill and no restituition.

Police Forensics take weeks, insurance companies longer, people lose their jobs because of no transport, thats not covered in most cheap policies, only higher end ones. Or they get a payout for their old car of half what a replacement costs.

Cars are virtually unstealable without keys so now the little sh!ts just come into your house for the keys...doesnt matter if you are home or not. This is why many women would rather leave the keys near the door so the oxygen thieves dont come right into bedrooms.

Its true there are many causes and several possible solutions but there must at least be some form of proper punishment to make them think twice about doing it again.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
…Its true there are many causes and several possible solutions but there must at least be some form of proper punishment to make them think twice about doing it again.
Irreversible surgical sterilisation (internal, not exterior mutilation) gets my vote. If the offender is under 13 years old, it’s the custodial parent(s), if 13+ the actual offender.

One of the ongoing NSW youth crime battles:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...al+mongoose%22

And to bring some melody to the malady…
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 07:46 PM   #23
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as old as the hills..............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF_vn_QUPhE

but oh so relivent
Old 14-03-2024, 05:37 AM   #24
LUV DE COUPE

Crucifixion. First offence.
LUV DE COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 07:49 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car and internal garage door is always locked. Not going to make it easier.

Once the lock was punched in on the roller door (which I heard a noise but thought nothing of it at the time) but with the motor engaged it is not possible to get in anyway even with the tiny locking bar gone which it already was. It was only after that I figured out what these random metal strips were

The best theft deterrent is that my car is a manual really after that. Even if they got the keys, can they force me to teach them how to drive it before cops come?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 09:01 AM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
My car and internal garage door is always locked. Not going to make it easier.

The best theft deterrent is that my car is a manual really after that. Even if they got the keys, can they force me to teach them how to drive it before cops come?
Best deterrent I have is to leave the biggest truck parked in front of everything else.
Takes 8 minutes to air up the spring brakes enough so they will release let alone worrying about some fools trying to drive a 15 speed double over crashbox.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 01:06 PM   #27
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Come to Victoria, the only state where you can keep on breaching bail conditions multiples times, and you still "Get out of Gaol cards" to keep on offending, the Justice system is a basket case down here.
I take your Victoria and rise you Queensland... Same problem here.

Criminals are continually bailed. Wasn't too long ago a 13yo with pages of vehicle related offenses stole yet another car and killed 2 people in Maryborough. He was just continually bailed over and over.

The little scumbag was stuck in Bundaberg and some 15yo girl stole a car to go pick him up and drove him back to Maryborough before the fateful theft. When she was asked why she stole a car to go get him she said "well... how else was he going to get to Maryborough".

She was bailed and committed futher vehcile theft and burgularly offences.

The bloke that clipped my Mum doing 120 in an 80 zone in a stolen car when he fell asleep at the wheel after a 7 day ice binge eventualy faced court with 30 charges. Including a violent and armed carjacking of a lady in Bundaberg 2 days after almost killing Mum. The magistrate bailed him.

When I found out his name I googled it and also found he was charged when he passed drugs to his brother in a courtroom. His brother was sitting in the dock being charged at the time and he handed the baggy across the divider. Again he was bailed.

Last edited by arm79; 16-03-2024 at 01:23 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I take your Victoria and rise you Queensland... Same problem here.

Criminals are continually bailed. Wasn't too long ago a 13yo with pages of vehicle related offenses stole yet another car and killed 2 people in Maryborough. He was just continually bailed over and over.

The little scumbag was stuck in Bundaberg and some 15yo girl stole a car to go pick him up and drove him back to Maryborough before the fateful theft. When she was asked why she stole a car to go get him she said "well... how else was he going to get to Maryborough".

She was bailed and committed futher vehcile theft and burgularly offences.

The bloke that clipped my Mum doing 120 in an 80 zone in a stolen car when he fell asleep at the wheel after a 7 day ice binge eventualy faced court with 30 charges. Including a violent and armed carjacking of a lady in Bundaberg 2 days after almost killing Mum. The magistrate bailed him.

When I found out his name I googled it and also found he was charged when he passed drugs to his brother in a courtroom. His brother was sitting in the dock being charged at the time and he handed the baggy across the divider. Again he was bailed.
I along with the public is hearing you, but unfortunately Govco's and the Justice system is in some other reality off with the fairies.
I'm waiting for vigilantly groups to start handing out their own justice, bad times lay ahead.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2024, 09:44 PM   #29
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guys,
I must say i dont have anytime for any body who steals things at all.
My late mums house was broken into twice in sydney.
I myself when i was younger had a very big amplifier and it was stolen by a bloke i knew.
when i asked him about it and i knew the stole it he said "prove it" which got me more reved up.

My brother in law told me a funny story. He was a builder and came home for lunch one day and there was a guy in his house. he chased this guy out the back door of his house and on the way let his dog off the leash which was a German Shepherd.
He was chased down the main road and the dog caught him and buy the time my brother in law caught them both the guys pants looked like they had been put threw a shredder.

The guy was yelling Call the Police and please get the dog off me. the police did turn up, no charges for the dog biteing him and he was taken away by the cops.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: