Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #31
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: $23 deleivered car stereo from china - Am I missing something

I bought something else cheap off the same seller.
Last night I got an email off eBay saying the listing had been cancelled by eBay.
It went on to say that because I'd already paid for it (did PayPal on Thursday night) that they would not open a dispute just yet, but explained the dispute resolution process.

I'll give it 30 days (the longest I've waited from China recently) then hit PayPal up if it hasn't arrived.

Be interesting to see if they do it to all of his listings.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #32
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Hope your car doesn't catch fire. I bought a cheap china torch that recharged from the lighter socket. After about a month the battery exploded as we were driving down the road. Absolute carnage. I actually thought someone had shot us. Lesson learnt, don't buy china ****.
Tell me what isn't made in China..
I buy or check prices through Alibaba.. First..
http://www.alibaba.com/?uptime=20130...10101010030001
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Thats right, what is not made in china ? go for a walk through repco and find something aussie made, or any other store for that matter ,
if you find something aussie made whip out the smart phone and make a historic note.

Evil idea, perhaps we should have a thread where when shopping we take a pic of an aussie made product in store and put it up for all to see??? .....alas i think it would be a very short thread.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Thats right, what is not made in china ? go for a walk through repco and find something aussie made, or any other store for that matter ,
if you find something aussie made whip out the smart phone and make a historic note.

Evil idea, perhaps we should have a thread where when shopping we take a pic of an aussie made product in store and put it up for all to see??? .....alas i think it would be a very short thread.
That's actually quite a good idea.

Short...damn short...thread would result...but it's a good idea...

That Alibaba site has some pretty damn good value on bulk deals with their stuff. No wonder some people make a comfortable bit of cash by reselling that stuff on the side. You could undercut stores here by 50% and still make a profit.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 03-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update: Just saw a notice that it was "posted on 4/11".

I'll keep you all updated on what happens.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #36
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I bought one of the digital TV ones for $22 the other day once I saw the thread, just for giggles. My fishing bus needs a new head unit so I thought I'd take a chance for $22. I got a confirmation of postage email yesterday so I'll let everyone know what it's like when it turns up.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #37
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a tracking number too, but it turned out to be a fake one.

I have lodged a dispute with Paypal, but it appears he has closed his Paypal account.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #38
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I got a tracking number too, but it turned out to be a fake one.

I have lodged a dispute with Paypal, but it appears he has closed his Paypal account.
As you provide bank details to Paypal and sign over the right to deduct money from that account they don't need a continuing Paypal Account. But this relies on the other party using the same account and having money in it. That's how it was explained to me when I had a similar situation

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #39
gggsxr11

I bought a chinese GPS with reverse camera 7 inch screen does everything except wash the dishes.
Oh yeah it also fails to start up randomly and freezes at the most important times and reverts to chinese language when it feels the need to and sometimes when you select an option it goes to whatever option it wants and bluetooth has never worked as it suppose to.

NEVER AGAIN

Uted
gggsxr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #40
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's what I thought too JP, but not sure if that would also apply in China.
It's only $20, and it was like betting on horses....
Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #41
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's what I thought too JP, but not sure if that would also apply in China.
Fair enough, my issue was with a vendor in was Greece so not heaps better as the whole country had no cash to take back!

Good luck
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #42
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:

That's the best analogy I've ever read about buying out of china, and it is like having a punt on the ponies or the dish lickers.
I've never thrown more than $30 at chinese goods and I reckon I'm on about an 80% success rate so far luckily enough, so $22 on a head unit is a good punt. I lost more on Melbourne cup bets the other day.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #43
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember either Supercheap or Autobarn having on sale a head unit a few years back that I was interested in, but they sold out in days and don't seem to have reappeared.

Can't remember the brand (not a "good" brand, just a cheapo make), but they were a "media player", and while a normal single DIN size front, only went into the dash about 50mm. They had a face plate with the normal AM/FM radio, but instead of a CD player it had an SD card slot and a USB input on one side. The price was only something stupid like $50.

Technology advances, and per unit prices should come down sharply..."should"...but sometimes don't seem to. Head units are one place where prices don't seem to change very much at all, even though they're just about all spat out of factories in Asia in massive numbers.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggsxr11 View Post
I bought a chinese GPS with reverse camera 7 inch screen does everything except wash the dishes.
Oh yeah it also fails to start up randomly and freezes at the most important times and reverts to chinese language when it feels the need to and sometimes when you select an option it goes to whatever option it wants and bluetooth has never worked as it suppose to.

NEVER AGAIN
I still have one of these - uninstalled, and in it's box on a shelf in my garage. Remarkably, the only thing that works reliably is the TV tuner, but only SD channels, and only when the car is stopped. BT is intermittent, CD player sometimes plays with no sound. Radio does the same! So took it out, and installed a JVC (minus the GPS and TV), and it has been flawless.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #45
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Yes you're right, everything made in china is number one super good quality. Yes you can get good stuff from china, at least someone told me you can. If you pay for crap you typically get crap. I've had my fair share of chinese junk. DVD player that shoots blue flames, exploding torches, dirt bikes that pop the fork seal first time out, cd players that last 6 months and **** themselves, etc etc etc

Common themes. All made in china, all cheap, all made to look good but not perform. Its all about how it looks to get that sale. I'm done playing Chinese roulette...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #46
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Yes you're right, everything made in china is number one super good quality. Yes you can get good stuff from china, at least someone told me you can. If you pay for crap you typically get crap. I've had my fair share of chinese junk. DVD player that shoots blue flames, exploding torches, dirt bikes that pop the fork seal first time out, cd players that last 6 months and **** themselves, etc etc etc

Common themes. All made in china, all cheap, all made to look good but not perform. Its all about how it looks to get that sale. I'm done playing Chinese roulette...
Please don't shoot the messenger.. The above link is way safer than buying through eBay.. Just don't buy cheap .. Son bought a Quad bike for the kids. Yea it was $480 for 110cc Honda copy.. It has had a few repaires.. Mainly bolts replaced with high tension in critical areas. It's 5 years old now still motors .. A Honda or Yamaha equivalent is around $4000 .. We KNEW it wasn't as durable as the Honda .. But the boys have learnt big time about servicing etc..btw it carries way over what is it's recommended weight limit..
I have bought a 2 post hoist not an issue.. But paid just under $2k .. Most are made there now.. Along with stuff from Bunnings, Hare and Forbes.. Don't like it but Gerry Harvey can't have it all to himself!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #47
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a cheap chinese stereo MP3 player for $19 delivered. the picture on the ebay ad was a false representation of the product. No biggy. I fitted it up and tested. 2 of the menus didnt work as the manual said. eeehhh who needs bass and treble any way. When i pushed the Sd card in on the second day of ownership it went straight thru and fell into the unti and i heard a bang and smelt smoke. Well it was only $19 delivered!!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #48
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I remember either Supercheap or Autobarn having on sale a head unit a few years back that I was interested in, but they sold out in days and don't seem to have reappeared.

Can't remember the brand (not a "good" brand, just a cheapo make), but they were a "media player", and while a normal single DIN size front, only went into the dash about 50mm. They had a face plate with the normal AM/FM radio, but instead of a CD player it had an SD card slot and a USB input on one side. The price was only something stupid like $50..
Bought mine recently for $78....
Couple of chinese 2 gb USB's in different colours and put my music on each of them in 60's 70's etc etc

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Bought mine recently for $78....
Couple of chinese 2 gb USB's in different colours and put my music on each of them in 60's 70's etc etc
$78 !! Whoa, they saw you coming.

(would you still have the URL, I want a cheapie to replace the Tape deck in my old Benz )
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #50
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way I see it is china is a manufacturing economy. They provide labour, facilities, logistics etc for the manufacturing of goods. Many of these goods are designed (look, feel, function and quality) out of the country, by brand names and for economic reasons are manufactured and distributed from china.
Many Chinese manufacturers make to a design and to a quality determined outside their manufacturing process. To blame the Chinese for all rubbish products is unfair. they are making what they are paid to make, If you have issues take it up with the vendor and brand.
However I concede many manufacturers build rubbish and market it globally. Caveat emptor, if its too good to be true it usually is. But Crap products are not limited to China, Think Ford Pinto and its big brother mustang 11 as an example.
If china needs too or wants too it can match the worlds best in quality, its just money. In the next decade they will lead the space race. and You don't do that with 19 dollar stereos.

JP
Old 07-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #51
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

You don't do that with 19 dollar stereos.

Maybe...but if they wired half a million of these units together, they might have enough computing power to run the show

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
The way I see it is china is a manufacturing economy. They provide labour, facilities, logistics etc for the manufacturing of goods. Many of these goods are designed (look, feel, function and quality) out of the country, by brand names and for economic reasons are manufactured and distributed from china.
Many Chinese manufacturers make to a design and to a quality determined outside their manufacturing process. To blame the Chinese for all rubbish products is unfair. they are making what they are paid to make, If you have issues take it up with the vendor and brand.
However I concede many manufacturers build rubbish and market it globally. Caveat emptor, if its too good to be true it usually is. But Crap products are not limited to China, Think Ford Pinto and its big brother mustang 11 as an example.
If china needs too or wants too it can match the worlds best in quality, its just money. In the next decade they will lead the space race. and You don't do that with 19 dollar stereos.

JP
The brand names might be made to external quality measures, but it's the rip offs/copies that are made to the cheapest possible price, sold for a low price, and the high turnover is what makes the profit for the rip off/copy merchants.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #53
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The brand names might be made to external quality measures, but it's the rip offs/copies that are made to the cheapest possible price, sold for a low price, and the high turnover is what makes the profit for the rip off/copy merchants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000
However I concede many manufacturers build rubbish and market it globally. Caveat emptor, if its too good to be true it usually is.
JP
I agree

JP
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #54
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
I bought something else cheap off the same seller.
Last night I got an email off eBay saying the listing had been cancelled by eBay.
It went on to say that because I'd already paid for it (did PayPal on Thursday night) that they would not open a dispute just yet, but explained the dispute resolution process.

I'll give it 30 days (the longest I've waited from China recently) then hit PayPal up if it hasn't arrived.

Be interesting to see if they do it to all of his listings.

Hmmmmmmmmm...... the seller of my you beaut $22 head unit has now been de-registered but the message I got said if it was already paid for then everything would proceed as normal but if there was an issue later then get on to Ebay and paypal, blah, blah.... I have a tracking number that I got a couple of days after the sale and the sellers feedback has replies from buyers who got units so I guess I'll just wait and see. The very same unit is being sold by other sellers for around the $280 + postage mark so it'll be interesting if it does actually turn up.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Hahahaha I like this post, the so called good computer you are using no doubt has all its parts made in China.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Hahahaha I like this post, the so called good computer you are using no doubt has all its parts made in China.
Back in ye olde times of the early-mid 2000s computer components were all made in Taiwan by the bigger manufacturers like Gigabyte, now China has gotten their grubby mitts on that too.

Damn them!
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #57
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
IPhone made in China, so enough said.

Seriously though, some of the gear out of China has to meet certain standards of quality for like the brand name company its making it for.

The cheap stereos I personally wouldn't buy one as would be paranoid it would frak up my car.

Whilst cheap is ok for certain things, electronic gear in your pride and joy, nah not for me. Rather have a known brand

Good I guess for a daily runabout with Fire and Theft 3rd party insurance lol

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #58
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
IPhone made in China, so enough said.

Seriously though, some of the gear out of China has to meet certain standards of quality for like the brand name company its making it for.

The cheap stereos I personally wouldn't buy one as would be paranoid it would frak up my car.

Whilst cheap is ok for certain things, electronic gear in your pride and joy, nah not for me. Rather have a known brand

Good I guess for a daily runabout with Fire and Theft 3rd party insurance lol

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
You be surprised how many brand name products are manufactured in China under licence, & yes a lot of Chinese products can be excellent in quality, it all comes back how much you want to pay.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #59
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Back in ye olde times of the early-mid 2000s computer components were all made in Taiwan by the bigger manufacturers like Gigabyte, now China has gotten their grubby mitts on that too.

Damn them!
Taiwan or China both are the same since Taiwan sits of China coast line.
Old 13-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #60
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm...... the seller of my you beaut $22 head unit has now been de-registered but the message I got said if it was already paid for then everything would proceed as normal but if there was an issue later then get on to Ebay and paypal, blah, blah.... I have a tracking number that I got a couple of days after the sale and the sellers feedback has replies from buyers who got units so I guess I'll just wait and see. The very same unit is being sold by other sellers for around the $280 + postage mark so it'll be interesting if it does actually turn up.

Mate I got done on something different off ebay, got the same message from ebay I didn't bother waiting if they are de-registered its for a reason. I put a claim in on paypal straight away and had my money back in a bit over a week.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post