Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #31
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

You cannot spend it. Same as if centrelink transfers money to you that you weren't entitled to you WILL be forced to pay it back. In fact I believe its illegal to the point you could face criminal charges if you can't repay it.

You have to nofity the back as soon as an error like this is discovered.

Trust me on this, you don't want any bank or financial institution coming after you... not if you plan on taking out any form of loan at any point in your entire life.

Cheers,
Greg
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #32
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Become a donating member and cross to the dark room ! :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #33
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

obviously this is an issue of much contention. To remove any temptation, transfer the money into my account, and I will keep it safe by investing it in merchandise from VPW.

As soon as you need the money back, just send me a telegram to Doctor Mohammad Al Kadunga C/o Suite 22, 33 Nobi Avenue, Lagos, Nigeria. I will send back your 2100 dollars plus 100,000 in acrued interest that I inherited from a Geologist who found diamonds but died in the jungle from monkey sh i t poisoning.

I await your transfer.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #34
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
It will tell you what its for the next business day usually. ..
that's right. stop panicking about it. it will tell you who it's from tomorrow.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #35
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDaaron
Just checked my bank account there was a $2100 deposit made to it today.

It doesn't say where it came from.

I'm off work for 3 months due to broken leg and am getting sickpay but the payments from my company says "deposit by "company name""

I got no idea where this money came from. is there any way of finding out lol?
Had this happen to me also.

If you want to be a smart-*** to the bank then withdraw all your money and close your account(s). They are then at your whim.

I did that and tortured them (withholding the mistaken money) and it ****ed them off. I did this not because im cruel but because they screwed me over and over on another similar issue, so i paid them back. I made sure that the person who was supposed to get the money did recieve it though (im not a crook !).

Its nice to get some payback.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #36
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So spend it quickly, can they ask for it back? Their mistake IMO.
I recall a situation a number of years ago when a very large sum of money was mistakenly put into someone's account. They noticed it, went on a spending spree and ended up going to the pokey for a little holiday because of it.

Judgement being that it was clearly not their money regardless of the error by the bank and therefore had no right to spend it. The fact that they went on and spent it was tantamount to fraud (don't recall the exact official charge).

So spend at your own peril if you don't belive the money is yours legitemately.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far out empathy is lacking here. If you find out the money isn't yours call the bank!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #38
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

A freind of mine had this happen to him, just over $3000 . He contacted the bank and told them it wasnt his , they told him many times for over a month it was his ! he withdrew the money put it into another account with the same bank . and let it sit ! After a few months the bank contacted him and asked for it back. he asked for an appology which they declined to do and basicly accused him of stealing money ! He closed his account before they could over draw it and they had absolutely no chance of touching his other account ! He did give it back after much groveling and brown nosing from the bank !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #39
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

honesty is the best policy..... even if spending is more tempting.

if no depositer shows up by tomorrow i would give the bank a call.

could be something like happened to me
about 2 years ago i went to do a internet bank transfer to pay 3 weeks rent ($660) and accidently sellected the wrong bank account to pay to from the stored list.
was late at night and after another long day at work and it wasnt until i printed out the reciept that i noticed the mistake.
i had paid the money into the account of someone in VIC that i had dealt with on ebay. lucky for me i had their phone number and they were honest enough to transfer the money back.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #40
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good time to do some mods to your car!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #41
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Just leave it for a week. The bank will most likely fix the error. If they don't, ring or go see them. I've had this happen and within a couple of days it's back out of my account BUT saying all that, around 2 years or so ago, $750 was deposited into my ex's Visa Card account. I told him to inform the bank but he chose to spend it. To this day, they still haven't asked for that money back. I can only assume that whoever made the deposit wasn't one that cared much about checking their credit card balance or had that much money that it didn't seem necessary to check. I don't know. But the bank haven't reversed that error.

Still, I wouldn't do it. I'd wait for the bank to reverse it and if nothing is done then I'd go there myself. As tempting as it might be, there's no point spending it if it'll only have to be repaid, which could cause you a problem and think of the person who's money that really is.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #42
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just checked my statement again.

It's a deposit from TAC but that still doesn't make sense because my work is paying my sickpay and TAC are apperently refunding them the sickpay they give me.

If it is a mistake though, I feel much better ripping off the government than a little old lady.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 03:25 AM   #43
mako
Starter Motor

hard to plea ignorance when you plaster it on the internet
mako is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #44
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Edit:

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #45
Eb Barbie
Banned

Quote:

It's a deposit from TAC but that still doesn't make sense because my work is paying my sickpay and TAC are apperently refunding them the sickpay they give me.

If it is a mistake though, I feel much better ripping off the government than a little old lady.

Haha good point, think we get ripped off enough by the government. Bout time calma bites them in the bum! :P
I'd find out few more details before I went on spending it though! Just to be on the safe side
Eb Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #46
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb Barbie
...Bout time calma bites them in the bum...
You mean Karma right?

If it is the governments money, I would think thats even more reason to not spend it....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #47
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

a friend had to go to court and got a criminal record after an atm spat 50's out instead of 20's..

rign up the tac and see if it is supposed to be there!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #48
302XLS

it's probably a seperate insurance that your work/comany has for people that hurt themselves outside of work and will be off work for a long term period. usually about 70-75% of your wage. I've had one of my workers have the same thing, it protects the company from having to pay sick leave and not have to let people go if they cannot fullfill there duties as an employee.

302XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #49
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Quote:

If your work is paying sickpay & TAC are refunding them, you best get in contact with either work or TAC and find out what the payment is for, because if TAC find out then they might stop paying your work for your sick leave, then when you run out of said sick leave you are on leave without pay, what do you do then?????

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #50
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Just checked my bank account there was a $2100 deposit made to it today.

It doesn't say where it came from.

I'm off work for 3 months due to broken leg and am getting sickpay but the payments from my company says "deposit by "company name""

I got no idea where this money came from. is there any way of finding out lol?

Dont spend it because in the end, what goes around comes around.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #51
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent
I wouldnt expect that the money would stay in your account for long, banks seem to pick up on mistakes pretty quickly, especially if it is their money that has gone missing..
It took Westpac 3 weeks for them to realise this when a similar thing happened to me, and that was only after I had phoned them telling them to sort it out.

Then they sent me a $100 Bunnings voucher in the mail :
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #52
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Banks win either way. I once deposited 10,000 in a few cheques into my account. it went in alright and I had the deposit slips and the stamp inmy bank book.
A week or two later I get a letter saying the bank had lost my cheques so they wouldnt give me the money, and that it was up to me to contact the people who had written the cheques and ask for another.

The point is the bank had already taken delivery of and signed for my cheques, then they lost them, but decided it was my problem, that i wouldnt get paid!
If i buy a someting, and sign that i have received it, but then I lose it, I cant go back to the shop and get another. If withdraw money from the bank and lose it, they wont replace it, but If they lose my money. i have to replace it...

SO if they give you money by mistake, you have to give it back, but if they lose your money, they arent responsible! also meant the customers had to write me new cheques an cancelt eh original which cost them money (which I felt i should re-imburse).
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #53
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
a friend had to go to court and got a criminal record after an atm spat 50's out instead of 20's..

rign up the tac and see if it is supposed to be there!
Something similar happened in the UK a number of years ago, except that an ATM was spitting out FREE cash.

Quite a few people went to the pokey over it as well, withdrawing upwards of 300,000 pounds.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #54
Jamesbondage

it would be strange that it was a mistake.....names HAVE to match account numbers etc.....look at your account tomorrow and you will see where the funds came from
Jamesbondage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #55
dan.76
always reading posts

i had a similar thing with work cover when i was off with a bad back, they paid me and my boss my wages who then paid me. so i sort of got paid twice. ended up having to go with out a weeks pay a month or so later to make it up.
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #56
XR8Master

So in other words your saying you will not notify anyone about the mistake, wait a month and hope that nobody notices, then at that point when you think you won't get caught you will steal the money ?

I hope if I ever lost my wallet you wern't the person who found it.
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #57
territory mate
turbo happy

i depoisted money for a ebay purchase(actually i did it twice) into the wrong account,rang my bank to get it back,and was told that they cant do anything.we had to let the mistaken account know,ask for the money to be sent back,and hope they were honest.if not,there is a certain time to wait,and the application for the return must be done a set amount of times(2 or 3).then,if still not returned,i could take action.So no,there bank cant just take it back cause you say you want it back.once you push the ok,you must take responsabilty for your actions.i got it back both times,although the second time took two asks ,and two weeks.
territory mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #58
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reversed an internet banking direct deposit transaction once through ANZ. i was looking to buy a CPU for my PC and this shop told me over the phone that they had plenty of them in stock, so i deposited the money into the shop's account the day after they sent me their account details. when i rang them to confirm my order, they told me that the CPU would take around 4 weeks to order. i went off at them, i rang my bank and they reversed the transaction and put the money back in my account.

i guess it depends how quickly you take action and which bank you're with.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #59
burnz
VFII SS UTE

don't spend just incase, but earn intrest instead
maybe a buck or two lol
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #60
topgun
Starter Motor

Once your leg is healed i hope a bus hits you and smashes both your legs. If the money aint yours, which it obviously isn't you should notify your bank but you clearly have no morals or ethics so i hope you get farked over you dirtbag.
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post