Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
SnoWhite
------------

Default Laser Turbo

Can anyone tell me approx how many 1982(?)white laser turbos are left in the country. The one with the Recaro seats and white wheels.

SnoWhite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
phila
Starter Motor

dont kow how many but the year they were made was 1985 I think
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoWhite
Can anyone tell me approx how many 1982(?)white laser turbos are left in the country. The one with the Recaro seats and white wheels.
Just for the record I have a 1983 white Mazda 323 Familiar with fuel injection and turbo. The only difference that I can see between the laser and mine is that the rear indicators on the laser wrap around the corners where the Mazda rear indicators don't.
I think the model you are asking after may well be the KB Laser and all parts are totally interchangeable between it and the 323 Familiar. I have also added 14 inch Telstar mag rims with low profile rubber to make it handle better. I have to say that it tracks very well even though it is a bit more rigid than it used to be on the 13 inch wheels.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Schreibs
Starter Motor

I have got 2 of them but they are not the White Lightning Turbos (300 were made), they must have been leftovers!?, any way you dont see many these days so theyre getting rarer. This thread on Fordlaser.com is dedicated to the KB Laser Turbo (E5T)

http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?t=25456

The attachment is an advertisement for the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KB Turbo.jpg (143.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Schreibs; 06-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Schreibs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

A friend of mine has one... well he had one (I don't know for sure if he still has it) of these White Lightning Lazers that meet all the specs that you mentioned or are mentioned at the link that you provided.
My friend used to live in Jarrahdale in Western Australia and the one he has/had was in mint condition. The only thing is that he changed the engine at some stage and put a twin cam in... I'm not sure what size the new engine is but it certainly looked like a much nicer unit. They are very nice little cars with heaps of power and when running well are very light on fuel. The 323 that I have looks almost identical and has the same wheels, engine, turbo and fuel injection that the White Lightning had. The problem with mine is that it needs a new head and rings so I'm going to try to get a reconditioned short motor out of a KB Laser if I can and just drop all my peripheral gear onto it.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

My brother had one,back in the late 80's. It was a 1985 model, and I think there were 400 built.

It was quick, but I don't think the engine was built to take the extra boost!

Edit... we smashed it up on the way to my wedding... No wonder my marriage was doomed! But it was repaired (half cut) because of the rarity of the model!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Yes I know what you mean because I have the same problem with my 323 Familiar... I keep ripping the front engine mount apart. I find that I have to take off from the lights very carefully or carry a heap of spare font engine mounts in the back of the car.
Unfortunately I can't run it at the moment because of the rings being worn. Every time I squeeze the accelerator down and it goes into boost, it blows oil back up the dip stick. I believe that is a symptom of worn compression rings as the boost pressure is bypassing the rings and pressurising the sump. I could be wrong and if I am I hope some nice person who does know what causes this can put me straight. Maybe it is something that I can fix much easier than replacing the rings. It would certainly be much cheaper to run than my 2.5 liter V6 TX5.

BTW my
323 Familiar looks identical to a White Lightning from the front because I have fitted the front panels from a KB laser and it is all painted white. I am going to paint the wheels white once I get it back on the road. The wheels are the same as the White Lightning without the white paint. I got those off an early model TX5 and put low profile tires on to keep the speedo honest.

Cheers