Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 16-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Question Here's the symptoms, What's the problem?

Hi guys,
I have a 1993 Ford Telstar TX/5 AX2 with a 2.5 Litre V6 engine. Now the symptoms are as follows... When I rev the engine a little bit above idle a few of the lights on the dash that don't normally come on, come on and then go off again when the revs drop back to idle. The battery also goes dead flat if I don't disconnect one of the leads. This would indicate a dead short. Last of all if I let the engine idle for about five minutes smoke and a strong electrical burning smell comes from around the alternator.

I am wondering if it could be something as simple as replacing the alternator that would solve this problem or could it be something else that is causing this to occur?

Please help me solve this problem... I am on a disability support pension so I don't have much money and can't afford to take the car to an Auto Electrician. I am also wondering if I need to drop the air-conditioner compressor out so that I can get the alternator out to replace it?
There doesn't seem to be too much room left to get it out any other way, so any advice on that would also be very much appreciated.

I look forward to any constructive input and thank you in advance.

Cheers

Wayne

Old 16-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
TE029
Blue Blooded

Hey mate,

Cant help with the removal but what you are mentioning sure sounds like the alternator perhaps the voltage regulator on it has had it hence draining the battery,
Once you get it going i would be getting a multimeter and checking to see if it is charging the battery or not, you are looking for it to be charging at between 13.5 - 14.5 volts when you hold the multimeter on the battery positive and negative posts,
Any less than that and it needs a reco.
Poss. the cheapest place to get a replacement or changeover alt would be repco...
Hope that helps ya out mate.
TE029 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Thumbs up

Many thanks TE029... No problem about the removal... I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have to remove the AC compressor to get the alternator out. I am not familiar with the setup of the alternator and the regulator so I will also check that once I get the alternator out of the car.
It does sounds like the voltage regulator on it has had it and it will be great if it is external because I may even be able to just get away with a new voltage regulator.
The best quote I've had for an exchange so far is $180.00 with 12 month replacement warranty as long as I do the work.
Thanks for the voltages also... At least that gives me something positive to aim for.

Cheers

Wayne