Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #271
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Grey Nomads - grumpy pains in the ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
All those who stay in cabins, morels etc, please continue to do so. It leaves the good places for us.
We are bush campers, and while you cabin/motel dwellers think it is wonderful you are missing the best parts of Australia.
And tell me how can staying in motel/cabin compare with sitting around a fire with your kids, their partners and the grandkids?
PLEASE keep staying in your motels and cabins
Trev, A lot depends on time of year.
I do both depending on the job. Most times I'll stay in the motorhome on the property where the job is. A much more efficient way of working anyway.

One thing I never do is free camp or stay in C parks during school holidays when all the weekend warrior terrorists turn up destroying the point of a peaceful stay.

I can see why punters do both.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #272
roKWiz
Cabover nut

C.B, You obviously didn't have enough marsh mellows.

This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #273
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The grey nomads took them all!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #274
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
All those who stay in cabins, morels etc, please continue to do so. It leaves the good places for us.

We are bush campers, and while you cabin/motel dwellers think it is wonderful you are missing the best parts of Australia.

And tell me how can staying in motel/cabin compare with sitting around a fire with your kids, their partners and the grandkids?

No dramas, you keep staying out in the bush so us 'cabin dwellers' have somewhere to stay.

To me, holidays are not really about the location. Now, if that is in the middle of the city or way out in the bush, I don't care, as you alluded to, holidays are about who I spend them with.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #275
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Couldn't agree more...

Go to a few salvage Auctions & have a look at the Written Off Ones.. Full of Glue Scotch locks & double sided tape....
I’ve seen the caravan demo derby’s at speedways. The way those Vans disintegrate is amazing. By the end of it the track looks like a site for air crash investigation with alloy confetti everywhere. Cant see the money in them at all. Totally get the DIY philosophy.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #276
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
No dramas, you keep staying out in the bush so us 'cabin dwellers' have somewhere to stay.

To me, holidays are not really about the location. Now, if that is in the middle of the city or way out in the bush, I don't care, as you alluded to, holidays are about who I spend them with.
Or don’t spend them with! A while back we stayed at my other half’s sisters place for a few days when on holidays overseas. I feel equipped to broker a Middle East peace deal after keeping those two apart. If we were camping god help me, there’s not enough beer in the universe to drink me through that ordeal.
Old 17-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #277
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Trevor I hope you not one of those bums that camp at roadside stop/rest areas doing the cheap cheap travel.
I do have pride and go off in the bush or use caravan parks.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #278
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Well me eyes have bin done so we will be back caravanning on the road again.

Watch out!
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #279
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

typical Trev.
I highly doubt all who decide staying in cabins/motels haven't seen other parts of wonderful beautiful Oz as you quote, turn it up.
As for hanging around the camp fire, I get that when your kids are small, its a great time but as they get older in todays world they need more than just sitting back whilst the oldies are happy knocking down some beverage and discussion......
Caravan Cabin sites are great for your kids mixing with the countless other kids running amuck, riding bikes, they have movie nights etcetc AND where we go the beach is just over the sand dune to lite a fire by the way.
Now thats making sure as an adult you getting some good time with friends whilst the kids are happily busy.....
I'm with CC - I'm too active to just hang around a camp site, there is so much bush walking I could handle as well incl the kids.
As I've said horse's for course's, enjoy your good places as we enjoy ours
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #280
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now this is a real van.

https://images.app.goo.gl/gt2nyyDLmFPiFkjF9
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #281
prydey
Rob

getting a bit competitive in here.

there is no right or wrong way. some camp. some holiday in cities. some travel overseas. some don't holiday.

also bear in mind that there are many different stages of life being represented also. what might not appeal to you now, might change in the future, and vice versa.
Old 17-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #282
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I'll chime in here if I may, this past weekend I spent another 3 nights up in the My Crawford forest where I've been heading to lately, was still reasonably busy but not as bad as last fortnight.
A friend invited some new members of his club to come up for a couple of nights, I'd never met them before, She was from Tassy originally and he from Belgium, they've travelled all over the world and around Australia so i was a little worried that a semi Bush campsite on the fringes might not give them what they needed, boy was I wrong.
They loved it and can't wait to come away with us again wherever we venture.
At the end of the weekend I asked them what they thought and shared my concerns at what we had to show them, they simply said it is what you make of it, a hotel room in Canada is no better than a campfire in My Crawford if the company is good and the fire warm and relaxing.

Last edited by BENT_8; 17-09-2019 at 12:36 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #283
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I'll chime in here if I may, this past weekend I spent another 3 nights up in the My Crawford forest where I've been heading to lately, was still reasonably busy but not as bad as last fortnight.
A friend invited some new members of his club to come up for a couple of nights, I'd never met them before, She was from Tassy originally and he from Belgium, they've travelled all over the world and around Australia so i was a little worried that a semi Bush campsite on the fringes might not give them what they needed, boy was I wrong.
They loved it and can't wait to come away with us again wherever we venture.
At the end of the weekend I asked them what they thought and shared my concerns at what we had to show them, they simply said it is what you make of it, a hotel room in Canada is no better than a campfire in My Crawford if the company is good and the fire warm and relaxing.
re the bolded bits. does this mean if I want to camp in rocky paddock or chalks, I have to ask your permission

sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #284
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
re the bolded bits. does this mean if I want to camp in rocky paddock or chalks, I have to ask your permission

sorry, couldn't help myself.
Lol, funny you should say that, the Ranger came around and remembered us from the last few times as we always take a 6x4 trailer load of wood with us and he's commented on how he appreciates us bringing our own instead of taking what's on the forest floor.
I told him I was considering buying shares in the place and wouldn't say no to a bronzed statue of me in my camp chair with a can of Jacks or JimmyB in hand, so you may well have to do that in the not too distant future..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #285
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I'll chime in here if I may, this past weekend I spent another 3 nights up in the My Crawford forest where I've been heading to lately.
Couldn't help myself.

Old 17-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #286
marty351
Shenanigans..............

delete
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #287
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Haven't seen to many caravans in Singapore yet

Lol....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #288
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Well me eyes have bin done so we will be back caravanning on the road again.

Watch out!
That's the way, Cav, turn this lot paranoid.....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #289
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Trevor I hope you not one of those bums that camp at roadside stop/rest areas doing the cheap cheap travel.
I do have pride and go off in the bush or use caravan parks.
Cheers.
I love these rest areas, especially late at night come into them ute lite up like a christmas tree and triple truck air horns all going. Id bet anything there has to be some messy beds just after.
Sorry but if you are too tight **** to use facilities and support local business you dont get any sympathy from this little black duck

Last edited by PG2; 17-09-2019 at 09:05 PM. Reason: avoiding the swear filter
Tonz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #290
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off to worlds end on sunday for a week in the camper trailer with the wife and 2 cats and i can't wait to sit around the oz pig with a few bevvies i hope the yabbies are on
Old 17-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #291
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I love these rest areas, especially late at night come into them ute lite up like a christmas tree and triple truck air horns all going. Id bet anything there has to be some messy beds just after.
Sorry but if you are too tight aSSed to use facilities and support local business you dont get any sympathy from this little black duck
Not a lot different to trucks using them though. Or cars. I know I've pulled over and had a few hours kip in the odd rest area. I guess it depends if it's a rest stop mid journey, or being used as a free campsite. Mind you many in the caravan community also frown on caravanners filling up truck rest areas.
Old 17-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #292
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we all do our bit to keep them free for the road trains
Old 17-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #293
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
heading off today (with van) for an 8 hour drive to Menindee then on to the Flinders Ranges
If not pushed for time, head up a bit further to Arkaroola - next level of Flinders and very rewarding.
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #294
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

They'll all be off the road queuing at the Internet cafes to check their super balances and transaction histories at the moment: https://www.watoday.com.au/business/...A_FxkcQPSCFOzE

Quote:
Australians have been told to immediately check their super balances after a young Melbourne woman was charged over her alleged role in a major fraud syndicate that hacked some of the country's biggest superannuation funds and stole the identities of thousands of consumers.

More than $10 million was ripped from retirement and share-trading accounts in the scam, Melbourne Magistrates Court was told as 21-year-old Jasmine Vella-Arpaci was charged with 53 fraud offences.
Old 18-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #295
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not a lot different to trucks using them though. Or cars. I know I've pulled over and had a few hours kip in the odd rest area. I guess it depends if it's a rest stop mid journey, or being used as a free campsite. Mind you many in the caravan community also frown on caravanners filling up truck rest areas.
Eastcoast rest areas are full of cheap a**e backpackers living full time in them.

4 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #296
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will overnight in a rest area but not if it is for trucks only but i try to avoid this as they are too noisy
Old 18-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #297
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Haven't seen to many caravans in Singapore yet

Lol....
If you did, it will probably be towed by a Ferrari
Old 18-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #298
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Eastcoast rest areas are full of cheap a**e backpackers living full time in them.
in the context of the thread, i'm not sure there'd be too many grey nomads that do that.
Old 18-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #299
roKWiz
Cabover nut

In context to the thread I see them also overstaying a reasonable time in rest areas as much as backpackers. North of Karuah is the worst.

Not a rest area but the last 3 days here in Chiltern there are 2 large full timer caravans set up in a clearing opposite the golf course overlooking the local lake caravan park. (big and inexpensive) cheap sods.

In NSW, at Stockton beach the council had a nice 24hr policy to stay along the western foreshore overlooking the harbour but due to, too many cvanner's and motorhomes overstaying their welcome the whole area has been wired off.

Old 18-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #300
prydey
Rob

I didn't say it doesn't happen.