Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #3271
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Spent the day at Brights Mystic park yesterday, man that place has some sweet trails. Ordered some new Five Ten shoes and brake pads for my Canada trip.
Cold here, isn't it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #3272
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Cold here, isn't it.
Man it was so god damn cold, but after the first run or 2 it was better.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #3273
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Man thats a nice bike, pity about the YT though.

Not long till i head to Canada to ride for 2 weeks, pretty bloody excited. A trail called top of the world has been included if we want to ride it. Totally going to give it a crack thats for sure.
Where in Canada you riding, Squamish in BC?
Old 28-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #3274
Trendseeker

Would it be sacrilegious if I mentioned that I bought an e-bike a couple of weeks ago? It’s a Norco; got it on special from 99Bikes.
https://www.99bikes.com.au/bike18-no...-silver-bronze
Great fun to ride; hills are no problem.
Old 28-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #3275
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
Would it be sacrilegious if I mentioned that I bought an e-bike a couple of weeks ago? It’s a Norco; got it on special from 99Bikes.
https://www.99bikes.com.au/bike18-no...-silver-bronze
Great fun to ride; hills are no problem.

Looks sweet, what’s it ride like?
I’d love to test one out. Can you change the level of assistance?
Old 29-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #3276
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Looks sweet, what’s it ride like?
I’d love to test one out. Can you change the level of assistance?
It’s fun to ride, the motor assists based on the pressure you exert on the pedals so it responds like you’ve got an unusual amount of extra strength.

The bike shop has a few models available for test drives. I took two of them (Norco and Merida) out for a run before I ordered a new one.

It has a Bosch electric motor that provides 4 levels of assistance: eco, tour, sport and turbo. The selector is next to the left hand grip and you can change the assistance level up or down by pressing the + or - symbol. It has a small display mounted in the centre that shows assistance level and speed as well as one of the following that you can select in the lower part of the screen: odometer (total), odometer (this trip), trip time, current time or estimated range (distance to empty).

You ride it and change gears as you normally do, but it accelerates up to 25kph quickly, it’s quite effortless to maintain that speed on the flat or into a headwind and you can go up hills faster than usual and without much effort. The assistance starts to fade when you reach 25kph and by 27kph it drops off completely. But at that point it’s easy to pedal harder to go faster if you want to.

I’ve only had it a couple of weeks but, based on the range indicator and my riding so far, it can travel about 50 to 60 kilometres in turbo mode and about 70 to 80 km in sport mode in a mixture of hills, flats and a strong headwind one day.

Go for a test drive if you get the chance you’ll enjoy it.
Old 30-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #3277
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
It’s fun to ride, the motor assists based on the pressure you exert on the pedals so it responds like you’ve got an unusual amount of extra strength.

The bike shop has a few models available for test drives. I took two of them (Norco and Merida) out for a run before I ordered a new one.

It has a Bosch electric motor that provides 4 levels of assistance: eco, tour, sport and turbo. The selector is next to the left hand grip and you can change the assistance level up or down by pressing the + or - symbol. It has a small display mounted in the centre that shows assistance level and speed as well as one of the following that you can select in the lower part of the screen: odometer (total), odometer (this trip), trip time, current time or estimated range (distance to empty).

You ride it and change gears as you normally do, but it accelerates up to 25kph quickly, it’s quite effortless to maintain that speed on the flat or into a headwind and you can go up hills faster than usual and without much effort. The assistance starts to fade when you reach 25kph and by 27kph it drops off completely. But at that point it’s easy to pedal harder to go faster if you want to.

I’ve only had it a couple of weeks but, based on the range indicator and my riding so far, it can travel about 50 to 60 kilometres in turbo mode and about 70 to 80 km in sport mode in a mixture of hills, flats and a strong headwind one day.

Go for a test drive if you get the chance you’ll enjoy it.
The shop has thought of so many interesting ways in an effort to get me to try one. I recall a rider whilst we were riding some of the great mountain climbs in Switzerland came over to our table for a chat . We were the only riders on "normal" bicycles . The climb was covered in ebikes - most were mountain bikes with all carrying a extra battery pack. The Swiss rider said " the ebike allows him to do these climbs and with the extra battery he can do a 100k ride without getting caught out with a flat battery. There were riders whom had brought their partners - with some clearly having some cycling fitness - but not enough to do the 10% gradient without the aid of the ebike. A older gentleman and his partner said without the aid of the ebike they wouldn't be able to tour together. The riders had said that their bikes were around $7500 francs. Those who know - would know Switzerland is very expensive.
I refrained from riding one - because I have a feeling once tried there will be no going back.
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #3278
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw an Earth ebike in a shop in Perth a couple of years ago, it was a sweet looking MTB.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #3279
prydey
Rob

so the late nights/early mornings are about to start again.

tour de france kicks off on Saturday.

I don't really follow world cycling, but am always drawn to this event. my boss is good mates with marcel kittel who had a good start to his green jersey campaign last year. I like watching the sprinters in the early part of the tour. gets a bit hilly for them later on though.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #3280
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
so the late nights/early mornings are about to start again.

tour de france kicks off on Saturday.

I don't really follow world cycling, but am always drawn to this event. my boss is good mates with marcel kittel who had a good start to his green jersey campaign last year. I like watching the sprinters in the early part of the tour. gets a bit hilly for them later on though.
Enjoy mate. Im going sleep soundly this July. If Richie is in contention I might watch the highlights package at best. In general I’m done with pro road cycling. It’s become just a bunch of prima-donnas cruising around in their team group waiting for someone to take off. Then once someone does, the others just sit back and look at each other “holding tempo” or looking for someone to “help” them chase. Plus, the whole Chris Froome drug thing is garbage and really shows that anyone in control has no balls to take the steering wheel. Money has ruined it IMO.
My son recently started BMX racing and subsequently so have I. It’s a much friendlier scene and way more exciting to watch. With the pro races freely available on youtube streams via UCI and BMXlive TV channels, Mix that with some mountain biking with things like crankworx and dark fest. Way more appealing than a bunch of dudes in Lycra rolling around the country side talking about sock hight and coffee. I’m not even bothering with road racing anymore, unless I having trouble sleeping.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #3281
prydey
Rob

Yeah, I get what you're saying but I just watch it for the enjoyment rather than supporting any particular team or rider. I like watching the break away groups, esp when they triumph.

I do agree whole heartedly with your sentiments about team sky controlling the race.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #3282
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

I don’t blame Team sky. They are only doing their best to win focused on one thing. I think the organisers need to force teams to bring several different classifications of riders such as sprinters and under 23’s. And perhaps a further reduction in team size.
Also salary caps too....somehow.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #3283
prydey
Rob

Agree. When the team has at least 3 guys that are genuine GC contenders, it makes it tough to beat them.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #3284
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'll occasional watch some of the climbing stages this year but will mostly be watching the highlights from now on.
I've watched the tour since 1993 and have always enjoyed Phil Liggett and Paul Shewans commentary but I can not get used to the new crowd, as much as I like Robby McEwan.

I like to follow Nibali and have been watching Jakob Fuglsang (Astana)come up through the ranks.
Tour of Italy is so much more entertaining but generally have lost interest in road racing too.

4 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #3285
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phil liggett not doing the commentary anymore?

Nice bloke.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #3286
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

Nice bloke.
no, got kicked out prior to last years tour. I was a bit surprised also, but have warmed to the new crew. they have much more recent experience so their comments are much more relevant most of the time.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #3287
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

Nice bloke.
Matt Keenan and Robbie Mcewan are doing the ASO “world feed” commentary now.
Phil and Paul are doing commentary for NBC in the USA.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #3288
prydey
Rob

quite a few crashes in stage 1. kudos to the young American Lawson Craddock for finishing the stage after his early crash.
https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tou...g-stage_471697

i'm not a big fan of Froome, and don't cheer people for crashing, but part of me did like seeing that he'll now have to come back from nearly a minute down this year. It shouldn't really pose much of a problem for someone of his ability, esp given he is a pretty good time triallist also, but at least its a slight handicap. Unfortunately Porte was in the same group at the finish (caught up in an earlier crash) so is also coming from behind once again.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #3289
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

A few crashes in Stage 2 taking out some big names which will effect the TTT tonight. I always love the TDF, but Team Sky's riding style has made what was an exciting race a little stagnant. Totally understand that it's within the rules of the sport, but its far too clinical and needs to be about how you feel, rather than what watts your're putting out.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #3290
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
quite a few crashes in stage 1. kudos to the young American Lawson Craddock for finishing the stage after his early crash.
https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tou...g-stage_471697

i'm not a big fan of Froome, and don't cheer people for crashing, but part of me did like seeing that he'll now have to come back from nearly a minute down this year. It shouldn't really pose much of a problem for someone of his ability, esp given he is a pretty good time triallist also, but at least its a slight handicap. Unfortunately Porte was in the same group at the finish (caught up in an earlier crash) so is also coming from behind once again.
That American kid was still going last night, I'm glad he got through the 1st day. He looked like he was in a lot of pain lopsided as he was. Last night he looked straight again.

I must say I'm over the whole froome thing. If you require drugs to be racing then maybe you shouldn't race. Years ago I was given steroids to open up my lungs when I was in icu. It's amazing what they do, it's like supercharging a human body. I'm not surprised people can't keep up with him.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #3291
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Froome has the goofiest style of riding I've even seen. besides his superfast cadence, he continually looks down at his bottom bracket for long pauses while his head bounces from side to side. No wonder he is anyways rear ending other riders. Hard to believe he came from mountain biking.

I refer to him as bobblehead Froomie, I reckon someone should bring out a bobblehead Froomie dash doll.

Stage 9 is going to be a beauty, lots of cobblestone sections ala Tour of Italy. it should cause some damage.

3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #3292
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Froome has the goofiest style of riding I've even seen. besides his superfast cadence, he continually looks down at his bottom bracket for long pauses while his head bounces from side to side. No wonder he is anyways rear ending other riders. Hard to believe he came from mountain biking.

I refer to him as bobblehead Froomie, I reckon someone should bring out a bobblehead Froomie dash doll.

Stage 9 is going to be a beauty, lots of cobblestone sections ala Tour of Italy. it should cause some damage.
He’s actually staring at his power meter/gps screen (or stem as people like to say taking th P1 5 5 ). Exactly what Blueoval was referring to by riding to a number he’s watching his cadence and power numbers.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #3293
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When Froome is really trying he turns his head to his left and locks his neck.
I'll be keeping an eye on Steven K from the lotto jumbo team this year.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #3294
96paddywagon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Yeah, it just feels like I am peddling my *** off and getting exhausted quickly, especially up slight hills. So this is where i wonder if a better bike makes a difference. I don't want to go faster, just be able to ride better and tackle hills etc.

That is what I mean.

If it’s making your heart rate go up it’s good for you , maybe you need to change gears . Cycling has come along way my father is 80 & was a pro but still rides 50 k daily he reckons all kids should start with a fixed wheel, but even for adults exercising it’s important to keep pedaling even if it’s uncomfortable. Racing & training are different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
96paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #3295
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not currently a bicycle owner, used to own a Colnago & a Puch in the 1980's if anyone remembers those bikes. My reason for posting was an article I read regarding bicycle laws. I understand that $70,000 in fines for this breach alone this year. I believe this figure is for NSW as there is reference to $65,000 for the same issue going to State treasury last year. The fine for reckless riding in NSW is $425 & no bell or lights, $106. I know it was a long time ago but I don't recall ever seeing any road riders with bells on their bikes. Have times changed?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #3296
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Not currently a bicycle owner, used to own a Colnago & a Puch in the 1980's if anyone remembers those bikes. My reason for posting was an article I read regarding bicycle laws. I understand that $70,000 in fines for this breach alone this year. I believe this figure is for NSW as there is reference to $65,000 for the same issue going to State treasury last year. The fine for reckless riding in NSW is $425 & no bell or lights, $106. I know it was a long time ago but I don't recall ever seeing any road riders with bells on their bikes. Have times changed?
20 yrs ago you could ride without a helmet. These days it’s a fine of about $400. Over time society and laws change. Yep bells and lights are a requirement too.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #3297
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot View Post
20 yrs ago you could ride without a helmet. These days it’s a fine of about $400. Over time society and laws change. Yep bells and lights are a requirement too.

Not in the NT, we’re old school here.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #3298
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Bells yes in SA it's illegal. Lights I am not sure of, but it would be madness to ride on the roads in low light or at night without decent lights.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #3299
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Sorry for the image size I'm working with my phone. 2 weeks in Canada almost done. I have a heap of pics I'll try upload when I get home on the weekend, and a bit of a write up. This pic was taken at the top of Top of the world trail.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #3300
roKWiz
Cabover nut

So sad to hear one of the voices of the Tour De France old commentary team, Paul Sherwen has died at the age of 62.

RIP Paul, you'll be sadly missed.

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentra...n-dies-aged-62

3 users like this post: