Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #1561
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Getting a house built - contacted around 7 different window suppliers. Sent them a detailed email with all specs, dimensions, opening directions etc etc etc etc.. around 40 items all up, made up of sliding windows, fixed windows and a bunch of sliding doors.

After a week no replies.... I get a call on the 9th day from one company asking for more details - which I give. After that, they send an email with their quote. Great, 1 from 7.

A few reply at around the 10 day mark. One quoted the wrong style of frame, one ignored the specs of glass I wanted and up-specced everything, one wanted to charge me $4.5k to do the frames in the colour I wanted. Yeah, right... One sends an email asking a whole bunch of questions (address, colour, my number) all of which was in the first document I sent.

I replied.

A week later I get the same email again - as if I didn't reply to the first one. A few days later I get my 4th quote in from 7.

3 weeks pass and I was getting peeved off. I sent a follow up email to one of the larger, well known companies with a simple line "Does it normally take 3 weeks to arrange a quote?"

I get a call the next morning right on 8:33am. I answer quickly as I was walking to my roll call class (I'm a high school teacher). I explain to the guy that I can't talk right now but i'll be free to talk in exactly 5 minutes (roll call ends at 8:35)...

No call back... they must be really busy!

No worries. My builder also got a few quotes so I will not bother chasing up any more.

Time for getting the AC sorted....

Drive in to a local company with plans in hand. Sit down with a 'sales person' to look at my plans. Some of what I said:

* Never had AC in my life (hardly use it), only getting it caus I'm in the process of building and it would be silly to do it later.
* Have single phase power only so happy for smaller separate systems to be run when needed.
* Full brick, well insulated home - so don't need to have huge cooling power - just enough to take the edge of any hot rooms to make them comfortable, but not cold.
* Don't want to spend too much (didn't give them a budget).
* Will have a semi-cathedral ceiling upstairs, but can modify the design to suit ducting or hardware if it makes the install any easier (roof isn't done as yet)..

He looks at my plans, says it will need to be run them by his boss and takes my plans up stairs to consult his boss.

5 min pass and he comes back down...

"Yeah, not going to be easy mate... house that size with the power limitations and the cathedral ceiling means you need a specially designed system.

You're looking at between $60-80k... but more towards the 80k mark.

We are NOT INTERESTED in doing anything less (smaller) as you will come back and complain that it doesn't get cold enough"....

******.... Didn't hear a word I said....

Sure... 80k for AC on a double story house.... What a deal!

What do I hate... people who don't listen, don't reply to email, don't call back and companies that think they can take people for a ride...

Should have asked him what's his best cash price lol....
Crikey Jason, you must have some patience brother. I've only bought 3 houses in my 48 years on this planet - all have been 2nd hand, none built to order. Mates have done what you have done and there's been nothing but grief, everytime.

I admire you for going through the ****, but FFS is it really worth it? I've just bought houses pretty close to what I like and made additions/alterations and made a home out of them.

Cheers mate! David.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #1562
Spurious

What do I hate, spending several hours dissecting my drivers door & trying to figure out why my electric window goes askew when being raised...

...only to realize some 2.5 hours later that all it needed was some lubricant inside the rubber seals, which could have been done in 1 minute by simply pushing the button & dropping the window!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #1563
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
What do I hate, spending several hours dissecting my drivers door & trying to figure out why my electric window goes askew when being raised...

...only to realize some 2.5 hours later that all it needed was some lubricant inside the rubber seals, which could have been done in 1 minute by simply pushing the button & dropping the window!!!
Simple fix is always the best mate! My mate and I spent 20minutes putting a sub and amp in his car and wiring it from the engine bay through to the boot....Long story short amp wasn't turning on and for the life of us couldn't work it out....even changed grounds.....Turns out as said before the obvious....We forgot to scrape away some paint for a good connection!!

Suffice to say that was about 2 - 3 hours of trouble shooting and pulling the amp apart before we could of just spent 20seconds scraping some paint...

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #1564
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Getting a house built - contacted around 7 different window suppliers. Sent them a detailed email with all specs, dimensions, opening directions etc etc etc etc.. around 40 items all up, made up of sliding windows, fixed windows and a bunch of sliding doors.

After a week no replies.... I get a call on the 9th day from one company asking for more details - which I give. After that, they send an email with their quote. Great, 1 from 7.

A few reply at around the 10 day mark. One quoted the wrong style of frame, one ignored the specs of glass I wanted and up-specced everything, one wanted to charge me $4.5k to do the frames in the colour I wanted. Yeah, right... One sends an email asking a whole bunch of questions (address, colour, my number) all of which was in the first document I sent.

I replied.

A week later I get the same email again - as if I didn't reply to the first one. A few days later I get my 4th quote in from 7.

3 weeks pass and I was getting peeved off. I sent a follow up email to one of the larger, well known companies with a simple line "Does it normally take 3 weeks to arrange a quote?"

I get a call the next morning right on 8:33am. I answer quickly as I was walking to my roll call class (I'm a high school teacher). I explain to the guy that I can't talk right now but i'll be free to talk in exactly 5 minutes (roll call ends at 8:35)...

No call back... they must be really busy!

No worries. My builder also got a few quotes so I will not bother chasing up any more.

Time for getting the AC sorted....

Drive in to a local company with plans in hand. Sit down with a 'sales person' to look at my plans. Some of what I said:

* Never had AC in my life (hardly use it), only getting it caus I'm in the process of building and it would be silly to do it later.
* Have single phase power only so happy for smaller separate systems to be run when needed.
* Full brick, well insulated home - so don't need to have huge cooling power - just enough to take the edge of any hot rooms to make them comfortable, but not cold.
* Don't want to spend too much (didn't give them a budget).
* Will have a semi-cathedral ceiling upstairs, but can modify the design to suit ducting or hardware if it makes the install any easier (roof isn't done as yet)..

He looks at my plans, says it will need to be run them by his boss and takes my plans up stairs to consult his boss.

5 min pass and he comes back down...

"Yeah, not going to be easy mate... house that size with the power limitations and the cathedral ceiling means you need a specially designed system.

You're looking at between $60-80k... but more towards the 80k mark.

We are NOT INTERESTED in doing anything less (smaller) as you will come back and complain that it doesn't get cold enough"....

******.... Didn't hear a word I said....

Sure... 80k for AC on a double story house.... What a deal!

What do I hate... people who don't listen, don't reply to email, don't call back and companies that think they can take people for a ride...

Should have asked him what's his best cash price lol....
But, Geez, isn't business quiet at the moment, not much work going on in house builds *sarcasm off*
Youd think they would try harder.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #1565
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Crikey Jason, you must have some patience brother. I've only bought 3 houses in my 48 years on this planet - all have been 2nd hand, none built to order. Mates have done what you have done and there's been nothing but grief, everytime.

I admire you for going through the ****, but FFS is it really worth it? I've just bought houses pretty close to what I like and made additions/alterations and made a home out of them.

Cheers mate! David.
Pretty much how I bought my house - walked into a few homes and it was either worth putting in an offer for or not. You can see the layout, the colour scheme, the workmanship. My sister has been part of 4 purchases of new homes. Apart from dealing with faults, you have to stump up for the landscaping and lawn - dealing with pulling half bricks out of your yard for some time and getting the lawn to take. I ended up buying a place 5 years old.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #1566
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74 View Post
Pretty much how I bought my house - walked into a few homes and it was either worth putting in an offer for or not. You can see the layout, the colour scheme, the workmanship. My sister has been part of 4 purchases of new homes. Apart from dealing with faults, you have to stump up for the landscaping and lawn - dealing with pulling half bricks out of your yard for some time and getting the lawn to take. I ended up buying a place 5 years old.
Myself and the boss were really specific with what we wanted our 'family home' to be like. We had a long list that could never be more than 60-70% fulfilled - even after a year of open houses. What was close was way over our budget or too out of town. At least we won't need to worry about what the workmanship is like, I'm on site every few days and have a very experienced builder overseeing all the trades. I have also over specified where I can for piece of mind. The half bricks and landscaping are all part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty

Cheers mate! David.
Certainly worth it! Patience is certainly needed. We did look at houses for a very long time and nothing came close to what we wanted. Even if it was close, we would need to stump up more money to adapt it to our needs.

I'm heavily involved with the project because that's just the kind of person I am. It has been hard, and have learn't a whole heap along the way (not that I would be doing this again any time soon) but once done our castle will be something we will be proud of.

Was just there this arvo fixing a fence - they have formed up the first floor slab and the steel will be delivered on Monday.

Should look sweet when finished

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #1567
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

When you buy a new bigger, faster, shinier PC and spend 2 days putting all the programs/games in from the old, one only to have it chuck a wobbley 2 weeks later and needing reformatting so loosing all that was put in!!

(this message was typed on the old smaller, slower and duller one!!)
Old 17-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #1568
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Myself and the boss were really specific with what we wanted our 'family home' to be like. We had a long list that could never be more than 60-70% fulfilled - even after a year of open houses. What was close was way over our budget or too out of town. At least we won't need to worry about what the workmanship is like, I'm on site every few days and have a very experienced builder overseeing all the trades. I have also over specified where I can for piece of mind. The half bricks and landscaping are all part of the fun.

Certainly worth it! Patience is certainly needed. We did look at houses for a very long time and nothing came close to what we wanted. Even if it was close, we would need to stump up more money to adapt it to our needs.

I'm heavily involved with the project because that's just the kind of person I am. It has been hard, and have learn't a whole heap along the way (not that I would be doing this again any time soon) but once done our castle will be something we will be proud of.

Was just there this arvo fixing a fence - they have formed up the first floor slab and the steel will be delivered on Monday.

Should look sweet when finished
One thing I have noticed working on a lot of new houses is you can tell the clients who either have a trade background or work closely with builders. I am still amazed at the amount of stuff ups I see in brand new property. As I have stated earlier I am a painter and since I spend 90% of my time going over everything with a fine tooth comb you really notice the flaws.

Not to mention the horrible amount of misscommunication that happens between client and builder, builder and tradies and tradies and tradies...I will never paint my own house or have anything to do with it, I can't bare to know where every problem is and live in it.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 18-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #1569
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
When you buy a new bigger, faster, shinier PC and spend 2 days putting all the programs/games in from the old, one only to have it chuck a wobbley 2 weeks later and needing reformatting so loosing all that was put in!!

(this message was typed on the old smaller, slower and duller one!!)
Yes lol. Once i was rushing to format my hard drive on the p. I left my storage drive in with all my music and movies and pics of the kids on and of coarse formatted the wrong drive.
Years of collecting musics and kids photos gone.
took me days to do a disk recuvery but i managed to get most of the photos back.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #1570
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Handing over my credit card to buy something yesterday. Tell the guy that pay wave will be fine (I was in a rush). Guy ignores me and inserts card, then picks up card reader to hand over to me for the pin, in the process dropping the machine on the floor and snapping my car in 2.

Picks it up and then starts taping it together - and tries several times to get the 2 bits to line up (and fails).

Finally says sorry just prior to handing back my card then tries to tell me that my card 'must have been already bent or cracked to start with'...

Not fussed that the card is broken, accidents happen. But don't tell me BS when you stuff up....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #1571
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

always blame someone else.......never take the blame, if there's a kid around, well, it was always him/her.

worked for me for years!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #1572
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys in small cars who wear fluorescent work tops and drive like dckheads.
Is there a factory somewhere pumping out these morons?
Old 19-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #1573
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and say "Maybe the Sub Corporation"
Apologies to the good drivers who work around that area but geeze you get some close calls around Veitch and Victoria roads, especially around knock-off time! And it doesn't end there - they continue it the whole length of Victoria Road onto the expressway!!!

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #1574
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're in Melbourne too and yep,knock off time is when they are at their finest.
Old 19-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #1575
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I hate having to paint some houses especially double story eaves that are near impossible to get to without having to do gymnastics for 6 years and learn parkour just to get a piece 1metre long.......1 hour later and its done...

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 20-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #1576
Spurious

I hate those gardening quotes where some rich twat (who has clearly never broken a sweat in their entire life) has a 6 metre high tree... just wants 6 inches taken off the top, it's right on a fence line, on a retaining wall, on a steep slope & right next to a power line....C'MON...REALLY!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #1577
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
My bad
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #1578
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive-thru bottle shops....A car is parked in the 'self serve' right lane, then some complete reject blocks the left lane and looks at the wine selection for the next ten minutes.

I`d like to return the favour to those ****** by parking in the Macca`s drive-thru, then walking around to the front and ordering from inside.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #1579
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Bloody telco's. A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of Galaxy S4s' on a $40 a month deal from Virgin, just to get away from FFFFFFF#@!%^&........... Telstra. Yesterday I couldn't get any service at home and still no service today so I got on the phone to Virgin to find out what was going on. To cut a long story short, after nearly 2 hours of phone time talking to the Virgin monkeys in the Philippines who eventually said they'd call as soon as they could figure out what was going on, I went for a drive and sat a stones throw from the local tower and lo an behold, no service. So back on the phone for another 45 minutes to eventually be told it was Optus doing tower upgrades and there'd be no service till the 25th.
Thanks Virgin, for reenforcing my opinion of overseas call centres and a BIG thanks to Optus for pulling the plug on our mobile service for over a week without so much as an SMS to all affected providers to so they could let customers know.

F@$#^&G TELCO's

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #1580
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

halfwits who run over lizards......I've had various bearded dragons and stumpy's laying eggs in my fernery for 30 years and every bloody year some halfwitted inbred has to run over the poor little buggers.

get a life for christ sake and leave them alone.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #1581
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Freak storms that take me 6 and a half hours to go 45km... as much as I love storms.

Suppose thats the price I pay to use public transport.
Old 21-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #1582
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
Freak storms that take me 6 and a half hours to go 45km... as much as I love storms.

Suppose thats the price I pay to use public transport.
Must've been fun, I got an email from Erebus saying their phone and Internet was down yesterday.
Old 21-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #1583
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your with Telstra and have to dial 132200 or whatever..... when dopey computer says....'in a few words.....................'
You say "disconnection"
within seconds you are yakking with real people usually young ladies in Adelaide or Hobart. They will gladly help you in any way possible ( as long as its Telstra related.
Spoke to young lady from Eyre Pen west coast.

But running a business I now deal with Telstra small business in Slacks Creek Brisbane,
In 1st month they saved me $230 on monthly account.
Old 21-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #1584
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Must've been fun, I got an email from Erebus saying their phone and Internet was down yesterday.
Thrilling [/sarcasm]

You needed floaties at Fortitude Valley.
Old 21-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #1585
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
If your with Telstra and have to dial 132200 or whatever..... when dopey computer says....'in a few words.....................'
You say "disconnection"
within seconds you are yakking with real people usually young ladies .
I hate it when I answer the phone and some hussey with a sexy accent is on the other end, she knows my name, my number, wants to know where I live and my age...
I'm thinking: "Hmmm, I'm in with a show here.And I don't even hafta ply her with alcohol.I reckon she wants the D."
But no,she wants to talk mobile plans and internet data

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #1586
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekgib View Post
I hate it when I answer the phone and some hussey with a sexy accent is on the other end, she knows my name, my number, wants to know where I live and my age...
I'm thinking: "Hmmm, I'm in with a show here.And I don't even hafta ply her with alcohol.I reckon she wants the D."
But no,she wants to talk mobile plans and internet data
That's exactly how I ended up doing a cert 2 in business for free.....Even though I didn't really need it, cute Canadian chick some how managed to stop me, which is a feat in itself as i usually ignore them.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 22-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #1587
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
House hunting.
Need I say more....
Moving....
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #1588
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Oh. And having a chronic (invisible) illness that your direct manager seems to just want to pretend is the equivalent of having a cold; and can't seem to grasp that your return to full time work plan should actually be adhered to.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #1589
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Commodore ute drivers that honk you when they don't indicate and try cut you off.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #1590
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something that is happening a lot lately is people coming straight through the roundabout while indicating to go right meanwhile i'm waiting for them but they just keep going straight wtf.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: