Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #3181
adz193
EL XR6

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
On the cycling gear...
There was a time back in the 90's I couldn't leave home without wearing the 8 panel, 8oz Cdale knicks, 300 buck Giro helmet, Carnac shoes, pro team wicking jersey, Briko (remember them) glasses and gloves. I only considered myself as a sport rider.
These days I've learnt to appreciate the riding more rather than the garb I wear.
I'm quite happy now in a T shirt and shorts on rides up to 30km, still wear the shoes and helmet though but can see why pro riders and distance riders wear the proper lycra gear.
Probably the most important improvement when new to cycling is the shoes as they transmit power from your legs to the pedals. (and helmet)

yeah the MTBking in this weather at the moment is a killer.
I spent a good 10 teenage years riding BMX in regular clothes with crap shoes, no rear brakes and a slammed seat... those were uncomfortable times and I have the scars to prove it! Looked cool though I guess?

These days i'm more then happy to spend the coin on the most comfortable kit and combine function with form. Just have to find what fits you best and suits for the riding you are going to be doing

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 11:35 PM   #3182
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz193 View Post
I spent a good 10 teenage years riding BMX in regular clothes with crap shoes, no rear brakes and a slammed seat... those were uncomfortable times and I have the scars to prove it! Looked cool though I guess?

These days i'm more then happy to spend the coin on the most comfortable kit and combine function with form. Just have to find what fits you best and suits for the riding you are going to be doing

You don't need brakes, they're for stopping, we want to go fast
Old 31-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #3183
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im not sure if anyone here was following the Indy Pac event (#ipwr) over the past 2 weeks, but ended with sad news of the competitors being killed just out of Canberra this morning.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #3184
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Im not sure if anyone here was following the Indy Pac event (#ipwr) over the past 2 weeks, but ended with sad news of the competitors being killed just out of Canberra this morning.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family
I have. Yes my thoughts and prayers go out to the competitors family and friends
It was only on Friday that i choose to drive to work as i wasnt feeling well and the 5.30am starts to ride into work had taken their toll.
When on the same road travelled by bike the car just ahead of me to my left left the road , climbed the curb and ran about 150m mowing down trees and street signs before coming back on to road and in a split second disappearing down a street to the left. The car was gone and the trail of damage it left behind was substantial.
As i paused i wasnt concerned for the street signs but what if I had ridden to work could I have been in its path?
I feel at times it best not to take too much time to think about what might have been - however it is getting harder not too when we are continually reminder of the perils of riding on shared roads .
The driver on Friday did he veer off the road because of? It makes no difference if he had caused someone an injury or taken one or more lives . The driver gets the car repaired however no amount of money , apologies will ever repair what has either been done or taken away from another innocent party
This , like many other accidents gives us all things to think about
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #3185
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I have. Yes my thoughts and prayers go out to the competitors family and friends
It was only on Friday that i choose to drive to work as i wasnt feeling well and the 5.30am starts to ride into work had taken their toll.
When on the same road travelled by bike the car just ahead of me to my left left the road , climbed the curb and ran about 150m mowing down trees and street signs before coming back on to road and in a split second disappearing down a street to the left. The car was gone and the trail of damage it left behind was substantial.
As i paused i wasnt concerned for the street signs but what if I had ridden to work could I have been in its path?
I feel at times it best not to take too much time to think about what might have been - however it is getting harder not too when we are continually reminder of the perils of riding on shared roads .
The driver on Friday did he veer off the road because of? It makes no difference if he had caused someone an injury or taken one or more lives . The driver gets the car repaired however no amount of money , apologies will ever repair what has either been done or taken away from another innocent party
This , like many other accidents gives us all things to think about
I would love to ride my bike the 36 km to work, I would be as fit as a fiddle and it would save me money. The 30 km on the open road is what puts me off, I just don't trust the motoring public with my life. A situation like you describe can come out of nowhere and then it is all over.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #3186
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
I would love to ride my bike the 36 km to work, I would be as fit as a fiddle and it would save me money. The 30 km on the open road is what puts me off, I just don't trust the motoring public with my life. A situation like you describe can come out of nowhere and then it is all over.
I hear you and i too am evaluating how I continue to enjoy what keeps me 'happy' and at the same do all I can to limit the risk of getting hurt. I been there and I don't feel the need to experience that again
Old 03-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #3187
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On Sunday at various locations in Melbourne there were an number of rides in memory of Mike Hall whom lost his life doing what he loved. So sad , you just want to ball your eyes out until it stops hurting.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #3188
prydey
Rob

came off at over 40km/h on sat...

at the end of a nice cruisy ride with a mate, less than a km from home (solo by this stage) and a black cat comes flying out of the bushes and straight in to my front wheel. stupid animal. after picking myself up off the road wondering what the hell just happened, i was informed by a motorist who had stopped, that the cat just ran away.
pics don't really tell the story. it was cold saturday, so i had 4 layers on, which was a good thing as it ripped a hole through 3 of them and still left grazes on knee, hip, elbow and shoulder. my shoulder took the brunt of it but thankfully nothing is broken but my ribs are very sore on left side, along with my shoulder. starting to be able to move my arm above the horizontal today.
I'm pretty careful when i ride, but some things you just can't account for. thankfully insurance will cover repairs to the bike and new clothes. all covered under house contents.

and this is why you always wear gloves
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #3189
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Lucky it wasn't worse, Prydey, though it's bad enough for it to have happened to start with.

I came off a few years ago now, onto my left shoulder, and damaged the bursa in the shoulder socket. Coincidentally, a mate of mine came off his mountain bike, and did similar damage at the same time.

After getting checked at the doctors, I went to a physio once a week afterwards, while my mate did nothing. The physio gave me exercises to do with therabands (long elastic bands you can tie to door knobs and such) in the following weeks.

I have no problems now with my shoulder, whereas my mate still has pain years later.

The moral being, keep the joint moving, gradually increasing the range of movement.

Hope you're not too long off the bike!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #3190
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus!

I've had a similar incident which resulted in me cracking my head on the ground backwards. Had I not been wearing a helmet it would have been a royal mess!
Old 14-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #3191
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

holy smoke Rob. Thats intense! Im glad you're ok. I think you were quite lucky that it wasn't worse. How's the bike? repairable?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-06-2017, 01:43 AM   #3192
prydey
Rob

Thanks Shav, yes I think I was quite lucky. It could have been a lot worse. I'm still very sore in the left side of my chest and to make matters worse I have a cough/cold and every time I cough it just about brings a tear to my eye. It is slowly improving. I hit the road with my shoulder and that is not too bad now for movement so I reckon I must have landed on my bars up under my armpit, hence the soreness, and also why the shifter has so much worn off it.

House and contents covered bike repairs and kit and have paid out already (minus $400 excess), so parts have been ordered.

Bike shop bent everything back facing the right way so bike is actually rideable as is, but I have new 105 levers and RD coming and new inner and outer cables as they are all nearly 5 years old. Can't afford anything too fancy but tiagra has served me well so far so it will be an upgrade of sorts for me.
Old 15-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #3193
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Thanks Shav, yes I think I was quite lucky. It could have been a lot worse. I'm still very sore in the left side of my chest and to make matters worse I have a cough/cold and every time I cough it just about brings a tear to my eye. It is slowly improving. I hit the road with my shoulder and that is not too bad now for movement so I reckon I must have landed on my bars up under my armpit, hence the soreness, and also why the shifter has so much worn off it.

House and contents covered bike repairs and kit and have paid out already (minus $400 excess), so parts have been ordered.

Bike shop bent everything back facing the right way so bike is actually rideable as is, but I have new 105 levers and RD coming and new inner and outer cables as they are all nearly 5 years old. Can't afford anything too fancy but tiagra has served me well so far so it will be an upgrade of sorts for me.
Sounds good mate. A fall like this can be something that can make some stop riding altogether, so Im glad it hasnt deterred you from going down that path.

Rest up bloke.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #3194
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

So my Giant Reign goes off to its new owner tommorrow with another enduro MTB to fill its shoes and big shoes they are. Pretty excited.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #3195
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Picked up my new whip today, couldnt resist getting it out for a quick spin.
I thought my last bike was good this thing just does everything at 11.
- Antz Turboside Intake
7 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #3196
Danny
GT4.

How sticky are those minions???!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #3197
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
How sticky are those minions???!
Very is the answer!
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 17-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #3198
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Been a long time since I have been on here and I must say I am glad to see this thread is still going strong.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #3199
prydey
Rob

Welcome back.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #3200
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Thanks. How are you feeling after your crash?
Old 17-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #3201
prydey
Rob

Not too bad now. Still some soreness in ribs but almost gone.

I never thought I'd be one to have too many issues with any mental scars, but i have found myself jumping at shadows, esp when the speeds get in the high range.

Commuting is knocking my confidence a bit too. Not sure if the idiots are increasing or if i just see more because i ride more. Thankfully 90% of my ride is bike paths and b roads.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #3202
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I went through the same thing when I got knocked by a car when I was 16. I was t boned by a car through an intersection, I went over the bonnet and roof so it was a big hit. Injuries were fractured tib/fib, 3 bones in my foot, fractured wrist, massive haemotoma on my left thigh (that hurt the most) and a few ribs. I was off the bike for 6 months due to injuries and then when I could ride again I was too scared to. I tried but I crapped myself at every intersection. It was a shame as I went from a very accomplished juvenile road racer with a promising future in the sport to unable to ride at all in a split second. It was not until I was 19 that I got back into cycling.

The good news is the fear fades, the confidence returns. You just have to do it gradually and don't push yourself too far out of your comfort zone or you will stop.

You have seen me descend now, I am back to being a bit on the crazy side again.
Old 20-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #3203
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must be getting old my Fuji Track fixed wheel didnt appeal for the 20k commute, so I bought this luxury barge! free wheel and 48/18 gear! no leaving the saddle to pull away from the lights. Oh and non knee bending brakes

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1500497911

Not the actual bike but the same as advertised! done over 400km's in last three weeks through london. Good to be out and about again and no abuse!
JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JRI 2017.jpg (38.0 KB, 16 views)
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #3204
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Its been a while since Ive been on here boys. Health has not been good. But when I get out I try and take a picture of Bae

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
5 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #3205
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Get an MTB and hit the trails and do 30 odd ks, you'll be as fit as a fiddle in no time and the outdoor trails would crap all over the road for views and enjoyment. My daughter spends around 500 ks a week on the road and I get worried sick for her but it's her hobby, she's heading over to Chattanooga in the US in September to compete in the Ironman 70.3 so the practice never stops. Just makes me worried.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #3206
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Get an MTB and hit the trails and do 30 odd ks, you'll be as fit as a fiddle in no time and the outdoor trails would crap all over the road for views and enjoyment. My daughter spends around 500 ks a week on the road and I get worried sick for her but it's her hobby, she's heading over to Chattanooga in the US in September to compete in the Ironman 70.3 so the practice never stops. Just makes me worried.
I have and I do, but I still would like to be able to ride to work.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #3207
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I must be getting old my Fuji Track fixed wheel didnt appeal for the 20k commute, so I bought this luxury barge! free wheel and 48/18 gear! no leaving the saddle to pull away from the lights. Oh and non knee bending brakes

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1500497911

Not the actual bike but the same as advertised! done over 400km's in last three weeks through london. Good to be out and about again and no abuse!
JP
Interesting. Why the single speed? It's a good looking bike.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #3208
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Its been a while since Ive been on here boys. Health has not been good. But when I get out I try and take a picture of Bae

Gook looking bike. My bike is dated back to the early 90s, but it is pristine. It is in the shop getting tweaked right now. As I got older I realised I didn't care about speed anymore. I just loved to ride. It is a rigid frame mountain bike, half alloy, half moly with road tyres. !8 speed, rapid fire shifter, good weight. Works well for what I want.

Unfortunately, I am going through a health issue too. Lost a lot of blood over the past few weeks do to serious nose bleeds. I never knew one could could so drained from that. Can't wait to ride again. Hope you improve soon.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #3209
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Gook looking bike. My bike is dated back to the early 90s, but it is pristine. It is in the shop getting tweaked right now. As I got older I realised I didn't care about speed anymore. I just loved to ride. It is a rigid frame mountain bike, half alloy, half moly with road tyres. !8 speed, rapid fire shifter, good weight. Works well for what I want.

Unfortunately, I am going through a health issue too. Lost a lot of blood over the past few weeks do to serious nose bleeds. I never knew one could could so drained from that. Can't wait to ride again. Hope you improve soon.
Sorry to hear about your health also. Hope it isnt serious.

As long as you get out on the bike thats all that matters. Its doesnt matter the speed or distance.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #3210
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Interesting. Why the single speed? It's a good looking bike.
After being a road cyclist forever I was walking past a cycle store and saw a new fuji track bike in the window. Had to have it! Then the cycling club went to Newport velodrome for a track riding introduction weekend away and I fell in love with track riding. Wish I had discovered it as a teen!
The simplicity and purity of a brakeless, steeply fixed gear bicycle sat well with me. Plus the notion of anything over a minute was an endurance event was super appealing! I'm big and strong rider but stamina has never been my forte'.
On the plus side I can ride for an hour at training with very little risk of abuse from a ****ed of motorist with an axe to grind while wearing the appropriate attire without further abuse.
The fuji is too much for a commute and hasn't ever seen bitumen! But the simplicity of fixed or single and extra workout I get by having no 'lazy gears' makes the most of the hour on the bike I get each way.
A 2 year old daughter doesn't give me much spare time any more
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: