Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #3121
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Busted the dust of the fixie today, will be riding to work for the next 3 months thanks to a jerk that doesn't like to give way. It was actually really nice to get back on the road bike and motor along. I love my MTB and cross country riding but something nice about riding fast through the streets
Least it's the best time of year for it to happen.

Would suck if it was back in winter, especially down there!
Old 30-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #3122
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Least it's the best time of year for it to happen.

Would suck if it was back in winter, especially down there!
Yeh winter sucks, on my path to work I have to ride through a wetlands and early morning i used to hit the fog and then when i got to work i would have ice on my gloves and legs I did it for two winters but then i got lazy.

God i'm bike unfit though, i forgot how much hills suck on a fixie and the sprints near killed me to get up them
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #3123
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Yeh winter sucks, on my path to work I have to ride through a wetlands and early morning i used to hit the fog and then when i got to work i would have ice on my gloves and legs I did it for two winters but then i got lazy.

God i'm bike unfit though, i forgot how much hills suck on a fixie and the sprints near killed me to get up them
I am going through that stage now. The lows are super deep, so deep,if you had not been there before you would question the possibility of ever getting to place you know. I understand it's a hard and long road back, and there is many disappoints to overcome before you start seeing some results
The legs have been shaved, the weigh coming off and the recovery times are improving. I am once again enjoying the journey
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #3124
GUTLES
Adam.

Couple of new toys. Stages Power Meter & Race Ware Garmin Mount with Exposure Light [URL=http://s72.photobucket.com/user/GUTLES/media/08DD4C58-DB67-49F8-AE87-EA25951D5A7F_zpsnd0y4buf.jpg.html]

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #3125
GUTLES
Adam.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #3126
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES View Post
I am keen to move away from Super Record and enter the world of DI2. Waiting on the new Dura Ace DI2 with Power Cranks . I would intetested to hear your thoughts on the Stages Crank
Old 01-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #3127
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I am keen to move away from Super Record and enter the world of DI2. Waiting on the new Dura Ace DI2 with Power Cranks . I would intetested to hear your thoughts on the Stages Crank
I hear SRAM red etap with quarq power meter is the ducks nuts. No cables. fast response. Giving you a streamlined look on the bike. Downside is 4-6k price tag.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #3128
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I hear SRAM red etap with quarq power meter is the ducks nuts. No cables. fast response. Giving you a streamlined look on the bike. Downside is 4-6k price tag.
My friend did. He purchased the SRAM Etap and then shelled out another $2k for thier new DZero Quarq Power Cranks combined with Enve Carbon Clinchers 3.4 .
His just got back to riding and in 2mths has knocked up 2000ks .
He loves it. His dialled in the Garmin to remind him what gear he is in. I have ridden the bike and agree you cant fault the look and performance. However at this stage
I am going to wait for the new Dura Ace
Old 02-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #3129
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In Warburton last weekend at the end of the ride we stopped for a drink and something to eat at the Bakery and a non riding patron asked what his bike cost? . He said $1500?. We replied Nar - closer to $17,000.
We nearly had to call an ambulance as he nearly drowned on his latte. Hahaha
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #3130
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
In Warburton last weekend at the end of the ride we stopped for a drink and something to eat at the Bakery and a non riding patron asked what his bike cost? . He said $1500?. We replied Nar - closer to $17,000.
We nearly had to call an ambulance as he nearly drowned on his latte. Hahaha

Im amazed at the shocked responses I get when people say "That much??? For a bike???" Yet they will happily spend 80k+ for a luxury euro vehicle and cut sick about the service costs. Or the girls spend 50k on a wedding and do not see what the fuss is about etc.

The way I see it is, if you can afford it, love doing your hobby, then its not a waste of money.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
6 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #3131
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice bike, Adam! And nice upgrades.

I did for a while lust after a power metre, then realised I don't need ANOTHER metric telling me that I'm rubbish

Would loooooooooove SRAM e-tap though.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #3132
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Im amazed at the shocked responses I get when people say "That much??? For a bike???" Yet they will happily spend 80k+ for a luxury euro vehicle and cut sick about the service costs. Or the girls spend 50k on a wedding and do not see what the fuss is about etc.

The way I see it is, if you can afford it, love doing your hobby, then its not a waste of money.
Its cheap when you consider what therapy would cost. How else are you going to resolve the problems of society, family, work , etc if you're not on your bike ?
I find after a good hit out , chat and laughter with friends there is not much thats going to upset me
Dont ride and even the smallest of things can get blood pressure up seeing red its a great pressure release
There is so much to love about being a cyclist the list is long. Ignore those that dont get it
6 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #3133
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I did for a while lust after a power metre, then realised I don't need ANOTHER metric telling me that I'm rubbish
I have always felt the same, but yesterday I went for a ride with a mate, who let me ride his power meter equipped canyon up a local hill. It was quite interesting watching the numbers. I would like to have one, but the cost of them makes it an easy decision for me.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #3134
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice bike, Adam! And nice upgrades.

Would loooooooooove SRAM e-tap though.
Its a bit like that. I keep waiting for my Garmin to display a rolling message confirming what it thinks of me - not pretty
It hasnt yet , but if it doesnt already know it i at least am telling it to record it and keep quiet.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #3135
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Its cheap when you consider what therapy would cost. How else are you going to resolve the problems of society, family, work , etc if you're not on your bike ?
I find after a good hit out , chat and laughter with friends there is not much thats going to upset me
Dont ride and even the smallest of things can get blood pressure up seeing red its a great pressure release
There is so much to love about being a cyclist the list is long. Ignore those that dont get it

I do shift work so I'm a grumpy bugger fairly often, esp when on nights. My Mrs loves me riding because apparently after a ride I'm much happier and chatty when I get home.

I also find riding very therapeutic, esp given most of my rides are in scenic countryside rather than metro.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #3136
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Spot on. I find it helps beat the black dog down a bit when things get rough. Having the endorphin hit after a ride is a feeling like no other. People think you've been on the crack pipe.

I also find similar release in my photography too. Just getting out into the fresh air and doing something more interesting helps break up the monotony of life.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #3137
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Well N+1 for me today. Funny how non cyclists just don't understand, why I need another bike. New steed is a 2017 Giant Cross City 2 equip. For riding to work again. I have waterproof ortileb panniers from my old commuter. Should go good. I used to love riding to work. But shifts just got in the way. 14hrs work. 1hr travel time on the bike. 7 hrs sleep. Leaves 2hrs a day to have dinner, shower and relax before bed. 10 hr break between shifts.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #3138
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently I demo a Wahoo KickR and completed a known hill climb completing the session in under 20mins . Sweat pouring and out of breath with a smile from ear to ear. Given the expense , I hadn't given too much thought as to whether I would or wouldn't get one , given I had a power crankset on my wish list for some time
It's not uncommon now at the mandatory coffee stop someone is talking about either a session they have completed on a smart trainer or taking about how they are seeing results with their power meter
What has been your experience with either a smart trainer or power meter?
Note . Now that I demo the Wahoo KickR I couldn't go back to my CycleOps Mag trainer .
Old 19-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #3139
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Recently I demo a Wahoo KickR and completed a known hill climb completing the session in under 20mins . Sweat pouring and out of breath with a smile from ear to ear. Given the expense , I hadn't given too much thought as to whether I would or wouldn't get one , given I had a power crankset on my wish list for some time
It's not uncommon now at the mandatory coffee stop someone is talking about either a session they have completed on a smart trainer or taking about how they are seeing results with their power meter
What has been your experience with either a smart trainer or power meter?
Note . Now that I demo the Wahoo KickR I couldn't go back to my CycleOps Mag trainer .
I dont have either of those. I have to CycleOps fluid trainers at home and use them for exercise purposes only with my hybrids bikes. Comes in handy on wet days.

But a power meter has always intrigued me. Something about knowing your FTP and riding to a number allowing yourself to know your are at max and not blow up half way on a climb has its benefits. On the other hand, it makes riding too analytical. Takes away the organic nature of riding and enjoying the landscape you are riding through.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #3140
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I've just come in from my final ride for the year.

Ultimately this year wasn't too bad, cycling wise, for me. I didn't do as many K's as I wanted, but I made some new mates, and rode new routes, so overall it was a positive year.

How was it for all you guys?

Do you have any cycling goals you want to achieve next year?

I just want to rack up more K's, in particular on the Propel, and to work some more hills in to my riding life (lol I say that now in the comfort of my chair with a coffee in hand).
Old 30-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #3141
prydey
Rob

i always planned to do less km's this year than the previous few. was up over 6500 last year and i thought i'd back it off to around 6000. this is basically just part of the balancing act of being a parent and spending time on the bike. my kids are getting older and circumstances change and it gets harder to justify disappearing for long periods. towards the end of the year i've started riding in the evening/night more, which i actually really like.

as the year got toward the halfway point, i started to drop behind where i needed to be each month but thought i'd be able to claw it back once the weather improved. it just didn't happen. i do shift work and have been finding it increasingly difficult to get out on the bike. just really lacking motivation. i still enjoy riding but its hard to force yourself out sometimes esp when its solo rides.

i'd like to get at least a couple more rides in this year. not sure it will happen.

also i still enjoy the odd smash on a strava segment, but i try to enjoy my riding a lot more, which often means just backing the pace off a touch. i'm right on the edge of suburbia so get to ride in some fantastic countryside and its very good for clearing the head if you just get out, and don't worry about times etc. easier said than done sometimes. Strava has a lot to answer for!
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #3142
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
So I've just come in from my final ride for the year.

Ultimately this year wasn't too bad, cycling wise, for me. I didn't do as many K's as I wanted, but I made some new mates, and rode new routes, so overall it was a positive year.

How was it for all you guys?

Do you have any cycling goals you want to achieve next year?

I just want to rack up more K's, in particular on the Propel, and to work some more hills in to my riding life (lol I say that now in the comfort of my chair with a coffee in hand).
Didnt even count the kms although its a bit different. Didnt ride enough but had a blast on the new whip. Hopefully if im nice a new bike will come next year.
Did McKayos at Falls Creek that was a blast, but yeah loving it really.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #3143
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Well
In 2017 I'd like to stay as healthy as I can and try to keep to @ 100 Kim a week during the summer months. 2016 I saw over 1800 Klm on my trusty steed If I can beat that and get over 2000 klm by end of 2017 I'd be real happy.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #3144
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Well
In 2017 I'd like to stay as healthy as I can and try to keep to @ 100 Kim a week during the summer months. 2016 I saw over 1800 Klm on my trusty steed If I can beat that and get over 2000 klm by end of 2017 I'd be real happy.
I know we are all different , all with different wants and priorities. I just clicked over 500ks @ 5000m and the still have Saturday and Sunday to come. The point being, you will find if you are able to commit to more quality k's on a regular base , you will experience something better on the bike . What I mean is , with limited k's you will find you are always reconnecting with the bike and body on each outing , where as with say 250ks per week, you will seem to find your groove and you start to create challenges instead of just doing the numbers . Before you know it , you start going faster , weight no longer becomes a issue and riding becomes much more fun
Now, i just got to practice what I am selling and adopt that rule with the garage queen . Haha

Last edited by Batmobile; 30-12-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 30-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #3145
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Didnt even count the kms although its a bit different. Didnt ride enough but had a blast on the new whip. Hopefully if im nice a new bike will come next year.
Did McKayos at Falls Creek that was a blast, but yeah loving it really.
Do I have any cycling goals for 2017 ? -Yeah!!! Smash my mates!
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #3146
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I might clock up 3500 km for the year... as long as I ride to work tomorrow! I was hoping for more than that, but life gets in the way sometimes, and most of my riding is done solo, which makes it harder to make time. I'm moving houses in about 4 weeks to a rural-type property, so I'm going to have to learn different roads and routes.

There's also a Strava segment that starts at the beginning of my new street, but it might end past my driveway... a 4% climb to get home from each ride!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #3147
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Something I did a few months ago is fit a Garmin Vector S Power Meter to the Merckx. Having spent the money, I've found it's not something I need, but it's a handy guide to tell me I can put more into that hill.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #3148
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
this is basically just part of the balancing act of being a parent and spending time on the bike. my kids are getting older and circumstances change and it gets harder to justify disappearing for long periods. towards the end of the year i've started riding in the evening/night more, which i actually really like.
For myself, I find I enjoy evening / night rides the most. Good on you!

Off the bike for a bit due to pneumonia :(

2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2016, 11:02 PM   #3149
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
There's also a Strava segment that starts at the beginning of my new street, but it might end past my driveway... a 4% climb to get home from each ride!
bit of a trick to be able to register times in segments that are near your house, and still have a privacy zone.... instead of using your own address, choose an address that is far enough away so that your house falls just inside the privacy zone for that address, ie, if you have a 100m radius privacy zone, if you put in an address roughly 100m away (in a direction where there are no segments you are keen on) then the radius of that address should just capture your property.
Old 30-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #3150
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Something I did a few months ago is fit a Garmin Vector S Power Meter to the Merckx. Having spent the money, I've found it's not something I need, but it's a handy guide to tell me I can put more into that hill.
i would love a power meter. just can't afford one at the moment. in general riding they probably won't make a lot of difference, but on a tempo ride (riding at a sustained pace/wattage for a set time) or a long ride or a long climb they are invaluable in making sure you finish strong, or ride consistent.